This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Float adjustment

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Slappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Float adjustment

Postby Slappy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:52 am

When adjusting the float on an IH carb, is the measurement made with the gasket on or off?

Thanks
A kick in the pants is still a step forward.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:44 pm

With the gasket in place. For a good view check out Lurker Carl's carb fixes at this link:
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Maintenance%20Tips%20and%20Techniques/Lurker%20Carl's%20Cub%20Carb%20Fixes/index.html
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:04 pm

Have I been doing these carbs all wrong or is the picture on page 2-9 of my service manual correct :?:

IMHO the float height should be set without the gasket. Measured from the throtle body flange a closed float should measure 1-13/32" or 1.406" and in the open position the measurements would be 1-19/32" or 1.593"
Measuring with the gasket installed would make the float lower.

I may be all wet here but haven't had any problems as of yet 8)

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:51 pm

I should also mention that the deepest part of the bowl is 1.650 deep. Setting the float height with the gasket installed would put the float very close to the bottom of the bowl. 8)

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:46 am

So you experts, whats the correct setting :?: 8)

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:53 am

All float settings are with the gasket in place on the throttle body. This applies to the IH and Zenith carburetors for the Cub. Gaskets can be different thicknesses. The only way to ensure float adjustments result in a consistant fuel level in the bowl is to measure from the top of the bowl casting - which starts at the gasket.

The float drop setting keeps the float from banging against the bottom of the bowl while the tractor is running. Your float will have a very shiney spot where it contacts the bowl until a hole is worn. If this is occuring, slightly reducing the drop will not affect the operation of the engine unless it restricts needle valve from opening. About the only time you'll see problems with the drop is if the float cage/needle assembly are wrong or there are 2 gaskets under the cage or the float is mangled.

When all things are right with your carburetor, the bowl will not be empty during even during peak demand. So what seems like a close tolerance is not realized during operation.

Slappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Slappy » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:44 am

Thanks for all the advice. I've set the float with the gasket in place, but the darn thing still starts to weep gas at the bottom drain hole after a couple of days. I've followed LC's directions to the letter - the only thing left is to switch from the IH needle and seat to the Kohler vicon needle and seat.

Even with the slow leak the tractor runs great.
A kick in the pants is still a step forward.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:33 am

Could be leaking around the threads or the fibre gasket at the cage and not the needle leaking. First look for the obvious and when that doesn't work look further.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:05 pm

Carl wrote:

All float settings are with the gasket in place on the throttle body. This applies to the IH and Zenith carburetors for the Cub.

That would make the Service Manual incorrect. I agree that for the Zenith carb the gasket should be in place but I think using the gasket on the IH carb will put the float too close to the bottom of the bowl. 8)

Return to “Farmall Cub”