This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carb

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Carb

Postby Todd » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:28 pm

Well if it wasnt bad enough that i need a new filter. I jsut went to rebuild the carb i bought on E-bay, and found out that the body was cracked and two holes were stripped out! Thought I could have it running this week :cry:
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:27 am

I haven't bought much on E-bay but have heard stories like yours so I pick it up in person if at all possible. Te hols stripped are not that bad a problem. The crack may be or may not according to how big it is and where located. Some where in this forum you will find an article about using JB weld to fix up stripped holes. I can remember ideas but never details.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:16 am

Todd: To get info on carb fix, go to home page, then H.L. Chauvin article "Carb Saved". This article gives instructions for fixing stripped threads on carb. Dan

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:35 am

Todd: Lurker Carl also has excellent info on carb fixes. I don't know how to pull up his articles, but someone will see this and tell you how to access them. He provides really good information. Dan

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:08 am

Young man for work, old man for advice

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:00 am

Todd, have you gotten in touch with the seller to tell him you weren't happy?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:59 am

He is no longer on E-bay, so I guess i got took! I fixed the wholes with threaded insersts before i noticed the crack. The crack is in the bottom of the bowl. looks like he used to tap it with hammer to unsitck the float. At this pointi would rather replace it than have problems down the road.
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:40 am

Todd: If the upper half of the carb is in good condition, why not try to get only the bottom half and maybe save money. A forum member might have a good one or you might try TM or JP. Both TM and JP must have boxes of carbs which they pull of of parts tractors. Just an idea. Dan

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:46 pm

I'm assuming the crack is in the bowl area and to the outside - not involving the main jet, fuel passages for the idle system or thru areas where fixtures attach that would put stress on the cracked area and cause it to reopen.

Clean up the crack and surrounding area (inside and out) with acetone and Q-Tips until they stay pure white. Fix any deformities on the casting. Wipe the areas again with acetone to remove grease and fingerprints.

Mix up a little JBWeld, fill the crack from the inside and let it set up for a day. I use plastic wrap to hold it in place if you have odd angles. Then mix up a bit more and fill the crack from the outside and let it set up.

It's easier to work on one side at a time so it doesn't drip or run and make a mess where you can't see it happening.

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:35 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Ill give it a try tonight

Return to “Farmall Cub”