This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ring Gear Wear Trouble

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Ring Gear Wear Trouble

Postby Mag Man » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:59 pm

Hi Gents I dont know alot of you to well but am Glad to Hear Rudis doing wel l. Ok Lets get to Bussiness I have heard of people say that they have fixed a bad ring gear with a dremel. How do you do that?
JON

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:05 pm

Jon, when starter grinding damages the ring gear it usually leaves flattened or mushroomed edges on the ring gear teeth. What you do with the dremel is grind off those mushroomed edges to try to restore the tooth contour as completely as possible so the bendix gear on the starter will engage smoothly.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:41 pm

Also, there will be two problem spots 180 degrees apart. I've never done it with a Dremel, but have done it with a 4 1/2" griner when I had it split. Dremel should work, but will be more tedious, and may need the right angle attachment. Also check your starter drive, if it's flattened on the ends of the teeth it will quickly damage the ring gear teeth again. If you replace starter drive verify direction of rotation. They make identical ones for clockwise and counterclockwise.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Ahhhh

Postby Mag Man » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:12 am

I see John well the starter is primer brown or similar the guy said it was brand new but the bendex is bad to I guess besides the tractor coming to a stop at those spots on the ring gear every time it growls and kicks out a lot. I wish I had a HAND CRANK. OK now I am singing all's I want for Christmas is a CUB HAND CRANK, A CUB HAND CRANK, Well you get the picture its 5:00am been up since 2:00 cant sleep. Oh well I wonder if TM carries them? JON

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:05 am

Most auto parts stores can get the bendix. As I said be sure the spiral goes the right way. If the teeth on the bendix are blunt the flywheel teeth may not need much work. I think the teeth actually become blunt mostly from the starter drive just running into the ring gear. after a while the edges wear out. I redid the ring gear teeth on an H with a file once. Took a while.

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:59 pm

If you are adventurous you can heat and turn the ring gear 90 degrees on the flywheel, or take it off and flip it over. :wink:
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:43 pm

Jon if christmas doesn't bring a hand crank make one,I just did ,it's
not hard Mac
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:12 am

Never had this with a cub but did on a super A all I have to say is don't be cheap get a new or a good used one.
This falls under the heading of you can do this once or do it twice.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:03 pm

parts man wrote:If you are adventurous you can heat and turn the ring gear 90 degrees on the flywheel, or take it off and flip it over. :wink:
Had to look at the one on the shelf in my shed to verify my thinking, but the one I have does not have the teeth beveled on the rear side, so flipping it over would not be a solution.

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:13 pm

I didn't say it was a GOOD solution! :D I'd heard a few people say they had turned their ring gears, but I've noticed that the back side is never beveled for good engagement too.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Return to “Farmall Cub”