This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Removing Paint

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Soldner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Removing Paint

Postby Soldner » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:26 pm

Well i've got my '49 Cub down as far as i want to go, now the main question is should I sandblast? use a wire wheel on a grinder? or any other suggestions. If i sandblast what is a good PSI for blasting, and what is a good abrasive?!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:32 pm

Sandblasting is OK for individual parts but I wouldn't do the whole tractor. Either oven cleaner or wirebrushing works pretty well.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Removing Paint

Postby Bill V in Md » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:24 pm

Bigdog is right on target. Sandblasting is good for pieces that have been removed such as rims, fenders, hood, floor, seat, wheel centers and front axles. I use sand that is sized specifically for blasting purposes. Play sand is too large, and will clog the nozzles, unless you run it through a sieve.

For the balance of the tractor, I think you will find a combination of techniques work best. On the transmission and final drives (or anything with seals) I apply an oven cleaner, followed by a power wash to remove grease and dirt. Then I will use either a knotted cup brush on an angle grinder to remove the remaining paint, or I will spray something called aircraft cleaner, followed by a second power wash. Be careful and wear gloves while using powerful caustic cleaners/strippers.

For the little pieces, I will either soak in carburator cleaner or use a high speed sander. Obviously, this is not the quickest system of paint preparation, but speed is not a priority with me. Thankfully, the tractor is not used for farming. On the other hand, I will be shovelling snow this year, instead of plowing.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:44 pm

I'll agree, don't sand b;ast anything assembled, the dust and grit go places they shouldn't. Walmart sells a paint stirpper in the pint department called Dad's that works good. Also, many auto parts stores sell paint stripper.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Soldner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Soldner » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:24 am

Thanks guys, Yeah i sandblasted when i did my 129 Cub Cadet last summer. I actually didn't blast much but some small stuff, and this time around i'm going to try doing Electrolysis as much as possible. So oven cleaner, and grinding it is then. I've actually grinded alittle away already, but i will definaitely go and buy some oven cleaner (paint stripper) and have at it.
Well for my tractor, farming is what its going to be used for. My g/f and her family own a farm, and the cub was used for years to cut hay and other things on the farm. So we have a few of the implements and we plan to use it to plow our pumpkin patches, and other gardens, and probably any other work around the farm.

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:44 am

I used a small angle grinder with a heavy strand twisted wire wheel. It worked well. Took everything down to bare metal. Wasn't as messy as paint remover and I think it was quicker. Correction, I didn't use one wheel I think I went through about three. They're not cheep, about $10.00 each. I also used a Harbor Freight sand blaster to get at the hard to get at places. It worked well down to about 60 psi.
Always try the easiest thing first.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:02 pm

Keep in mind that any of the methods mentioned can quickly ruin aluminum. Protect your serial tag and electrical tags when you are working near them. Or better yet, remove them and reinstall later.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Paint removal

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:37 pm

If there is a furniture stripping shop in your area they may strip the paint from automotive parts. They sometimes will dip the automotive parts just before they empty their stripping tanks. The parts need to be clean - degreased. They also have a preservative/sealent used on freshly stripped metal parts.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:02 pm

Since I am just a couple of steps ahead of you I think I can give some guidance.
I fully agree with everyone about sandblasting... and it is just tough to do besides.
Oven cleaner is THE BEST for caked on grease/oil etc. It does get a bit of the paint sometimes.
The knotted brush on an angle grinder is the best for castings. I also have had good luck with the 'paint stripper' disc (3M) on a drill for tighter spots. Works for rust too.
Aircraft remover works pretty well on sheet metal, suprisingly better than the knotted brush. Wear a respirator, it is pretty tough stuff.
I love electrolisis, especially since I got a higher powered charger at an auction. It works great for rust and for paint around rusted areas but will not take all the paint off.

I just do a bit at a time and prime it when I am done for the day. Slowly but surely it is looking pretty good....

Another good idea is to take photos with a digital camera. It can come in handy when you go to put it back together (months later) and lets you see what a good job you are doing later on.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)