This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Shift Rail

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ducati750
10+ Years
10+ Years

Shift Rail

Postby ducati750 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:00 pm

My cub will pop out of third gear. If you hold it into third gear with even light pressure it will stay in. I pulled the top off the gearbox, and the fork is not bent and it goes fully into mesh. With the top off and pushing on the rail itself, it seems like it goes into the detent more firmly than to take it out of the detent. Sort of like the divit that is machined in the rail for the detent ball is more worn on the one side than the other. Is this a common problem? Is there a way to adjust the pressure on the detent ball? In order to remove the shift rails the tractor needs to be split does it not?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:08 pm

There have been post that the rails can be worked on with out splitting. I have never done it. They all seem to say watch out you don't lose the ball when it pops out. I am one of the experts will chime in and tell you how or where the info is.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:13 pm

You can "work" on the rails without splitting the tractor but they cannot be removed without splitting unless you cut them in two :cry:
There are two expansion plugs on the front of the transmission that have to be removed in order to remove the rails 8)

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:19 pm

Go to search on the top of the page. Put in transmission and forks. follow the one that says noise in transmission. Some where in it you will get the scoop. If I knew how to put it here for you I would have.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:23 pm

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:27 pm

Thanks Donny. I want to be as good as some of you computer guys in my next lifetime..

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:35 pm

It sounds like the problem lise in the fork or the shifter it self. not the detent .

ducati750
10+ Years
10+ Years

Shift rail

Postby ducati750 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:04 am

Thanks for your help. I too belive that the problem is that the rail is worn at the detent. I just got done spliting the tractor to replace the pilot bushing that was not installed by the guy I bought the tractor from. Guess I have to do it again. :evil:

Return to “Farmall Cub”