This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Paint hardner

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CaptPaulret
10+ Years
10+ Years

Paint hardner

Postby CaptPaulret » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:09 am

lI have a question concerning using paint hardner that has been recommended in several posts. On another tractor site I read that if using this product you should use supplied air as it is very toxic. I am planing on painting my cub and would like to do it myself vs. using a body shop due to cost and I like to do my own work. Love these cubs.
Keep us informed on Rudi's health problems we wish him speedy recovery and keep him in our prayers.
Capt. Paul Ret.[/b]
Capt. Paul Ret.
Oswego, NY

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:18 am

It's my understanding that some of those hardeners can be really nasty. If you're going to do your own painting then I recommend that you invest in the proper equipment to protect yourself. Unless you have a lot of painting to do, it might be cheaper to have it painted professionally.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:03 pm

Yes, it's nasty stuff... hardly worth the risk. Although the doctors always say "Ah-ha" when they find that I smoked until 20 years ago, I blame my carelessness with hardener for the fact that I now have to take breathing medication 4 times a day. I think if I had never used hardener I could still be painting my Cubs and not dependent on this machine.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Hardner

Postby Bill V in Md » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:48 pm

Capt. Paul,

What exactly is your question. re. hardners?

Bill V.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

CaptPaulret
10+ Years
10+ Years

Paint Hardner

Postby CaptPaulret » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:03 pm

Big Dog Thanks for the reply, but at 72 I dought I'll abe painting enough equipment to justify spending the money for a remote air supply. I think I'll just skip the hardner.

George W. Thank you for your input, I'm sorry to hear about your problems using this product. That's why I posted this question. All of you guys are the greatest sharing your expierences and preventing us newbies from making mistakes.

Bill V. My question was the possible health problems using paint hardner when painting equipment.

Thanks to all.
Capt. Paul Ret.

Oswego, NY

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:32 pm

Will one of the "cartridge" style filter masks filter out the hardener fumes??
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:46 pm

parts man wrote:Will one of the "cartridge" style filter masks filter out the hardener fumes??

Absolutely not :shock: :shock: :shock:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:48 pm

CPT Paul,

Here is a link to some information put out by the Province of Saskatchewan on isocyanate, which is the active ingredient in most two part paint hardener formulations.

http://www.labour.gov.sk.ca/safety/isocynates/printpage.htm

Only supplied-air respirator systems are recommended, not cartridge filter type masks. When compared with the known health risks, a body shop paint job for your tractor might be the best investment you could make.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:20 pm

Thanks for the info guys!! I guess I'll pass on the hardener when I paint the W4 and BN!! :shock: I didn't use hardener on our other tractors and I think they turned out OK.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

A side note....

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:48 am

I once lived beside a mechanic's garage that did not have (previously) proper equipment for removing the bad air from their painting of automobiles. It got so bad, especially during the summer months, that I could not go outside for the paint fumes. I once had beautiful grape vines next to the garage. The grape vines are all now dead. My thinking is that the paint fumes with the hardner coated the grape vines and killed everyone of them. That stuff is dangerous! I no longer live beside of the garage, and it sure feels good to step outside and breathe fresh air!

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:09 am

Isocyanates are very toxic - for example, methyl isocyanate is used in pesticides. Do a Google search and you'll get more information about the health effects than you'd care to know about.

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:03 am

I painted my Cub outside on a nice calm spring morning. Wet the ground down then put the tarps down. Nearest neighbor is about 10 acres away so I didn't have to worry about spray dust. Also used a good respirator. I don't know how I did it but paint job turned out well. No bugs no dirt. Looks like it was done by somebody that knew what they were doing, which wasn't the case! I used a synthetic hardener I got at Napa. I don't know if the guy really new what he was talking about but he said their hardener isn't as harmfull as others. George probably can shead some light on that. Maybe they do something different in the formula for hardener sold in California.
Always try the easiest thing first.

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:31 am

Isocyanates surround you blood cells and will not let them release oxygen. Or its very very rare but you could have an allergic reaction and have an immediate problem. The truth is the effects are mostly accumulative. Guys who have been painting for years. Kinda like smoking one pack of cigarettes isn't good for you but it wont kill you. Your body also does discharge the Isocyanates over a period of time. I recommend you make sure the area is ventilated very well. Seal everything up and but a couple of big fans in the window or door to pull the fumes out. then use a 3M disposable Respirator, not a dust mask but a Respirator. You'll be fine.
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart

Return to “Farmall Cub”