This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New person Info

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Electronrider
10+ Years
10+ Years

New person Info

Postby Electronrider » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:45 pm

Howdy everyone, My name is Kevin, I'm in Lafayette, In. First off, Love the board, lots of great resources here. I have been lurking around fer about a month, decided I better register. I currently own a 1951 farmall cub, it doesnt run right now, I'm going to try to change that in the near future. This tractor was my fathers, our last project together before he passed on a few years ago. It was running then, we rebuilt the motor twice ( cam bearing went in backwards the first time). Shortly after we got it running, he passed on, and it sat for about 3 years. ( just couldnt mess with it ya know? ). It is now at my house, and I'm getting ready to start in on getting it going again.

I have a few questions, maybe someone could shed some light on where to begin:

I got a new 6v battery for it, and put it in wrong ( forgot about positive ground) tried starting, and about all it did was click and try to growl. Realised that it was backwards, removed battery, charged it up, and put in in properly, and had the same indications. I pull the start, and all I get is a half hearted growl from it, doesnt even turn over completely once, then is dead. I can turn the hand crank, but am not sure if I have compression or not. ( I have heard that if they dont run for a time like mine didnt, the rings can loose their seal? )Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance, I will probably have many more questions. I TRY to find an answer before I ask, seems like whenever I find an answer, the problem is just a little different than my own.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:58 pm

Check your grounds.....make sure the starter is grounded good to the block and the battery is grounded good to the box and/or the chassis. Sounds like you are not getting enough volts. Make sure the battery cable ends are connected good and the battery posts are clean.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:17 pm

As Cub Bud said, check the grounds. But also take a look at both ends of both cables. If you have those clamp-on replacement cable clamps, consider replacing the battery cables with good heavy duty cables with good ends. One quick check is to use a set of jumper cables temporarily to see if the problem improves. Just make sure the jumpers have good contact and see if it spins over. Run from the battery positive post to ground (drawbar is a good spot) and from the battery negative post to the cable post on the starter switch. Another possibility is the switch contact in the starter switch itself.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:20 pm

Welcome to the board. You'll get so many answers here that some of them are bound to be right, even if only by chance. Per example, since it has been setting another possibility is that the brushes are sticking in the holders and not making good contact to the starter armanture, My 48 had that problem when I first got it 17 years ago.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Electronrider
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Electronrider » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:52 pm

Thanks for the welcome John, again, I really do like the site.

Bigdog: What cables would you recomend? Should I hit the parts places and get me a replacement cable, or is there better somewhere else? I'm not a purist as far as restoration goes, this is gonna be my work pony on the homestead. However, I really dislike redneck engineering. I think ya should fix it right, and not make it look like a hack job to boot.

As far as the grounds go, I am going to go ahead and break out the grinder, and go metal to metal. I plan on teardown and paint next winter, and I would rather make absolutely sure that my ground is good. I'll try that first.

Should connectivity prove not to be the problem, I figured I would just work my way down the line. I think the swith is working, cause it does try to work, just seems like its missing all of the oomph. maybe next step would be to take starter off and have it tested? Would it be wiser to get it rebuilt anyways, since I'm takin my time, and want it in top condition when I get her goin?
Thanks again

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:58 pm

Bigdog

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:29 pm

Get a voltmeter and hook it from ground to the terminal on the starter. Pull the starter rod. If voltage stays above 5 1/2 volts, you probably have a starter problem. If it drops low keep working back toward the battery until you pass where you are losing voltage.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:37 pm

Welcome Ken we have every one here from country bumpkins to city slickers and every one inbetween. the worst of us need help and the best of us offer ihelp. My 3 brothers and I are no tighter thn every one on this board. Oh I relize damyankee is one word and i am one but i still love and will help every member that i can and if I can not i will shut up.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:05 am

Ken,

You might want to prime the oil pump since it's been sitting so long. On the right rear block flange that bolts to the bell housing, just below the manifold, you should see an allen screw plug. Remove that and squirt a couple of ounces of oil in. If it starts that will prevent things from running dry until the oil pressure comes up.
Always try the easiest thing first.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:40 am

Kevin, I live in West Lafayette If you need some help I would be glad to assist. I have 2 cubs . currently in the process of restoring the 48 and a few implements. I have some manuals if you would like to look at them . I have found them to be indispensable. Tomorrow I will have the 49 in the parade. The Tippecanoe steam and gas power association will have a float and few tractors. We have won the Adult division 3 years running.Email me if you need any more help. Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Electronrider
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Electronrider » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:46 pm

Thanks you everyone for the replies, Once I get on it this week, I will post my actions, and if I still have a problem or not.

Steve, thanks a lot for the offer, we will have to meet up sometime. I was in the parade too, I was riding my motorcycle ( I built my own) with the American Legion Riders . It was neat, my first parade!

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:07 pm

hey,
nice slide show on the battery and cable installation.
I do have one safety suggestion. The ground on the battery should be the last cable you hook up. Always disconnect the ground first and hook it up last.
You will know why if the ground is hooked up and while you are hooking up the other side your little 1/2" wrench makes contact with the battery box. :-)

Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:14 pm

Mike, that is mentioned in the narrative. Believe me, I know from personal experience what happens if you connect the ground first. :(
Bigdog

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Nice Job!

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:41 pm

Great slide show. I now know a lot more about my cub. My cable wiring is nowhere close to what is shown here. That is one more thing on my list to fix over the winter.

Thanks again guys!

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Return to “Farmall Cub”