This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Remove 'fan' from generator and generator color??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Remove 'fan' from generator and generator color??

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:50 pm

The cub project is coming along nicely.... but I have a question on how to get the fan and pulley off of the generator.
Anybody know the trick?

Since I am trying to clean everything up nicely before I paint, I think the fan will go in the my newly enlarged electrolisis tank (with a biger charger~~).

I am getting to know all the hidden places of the yeller baby!

Also, I am wondering if I should paint the generator and starter the same color as the tractor?? Seems like black would look nice too. I am not painting the distributor, as that seems to have always been black.

Thanks!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:55 pm

You will need an impact wrench to remove the pulley from the generator.

I think the starters look good painted the same color as the chassis (red or yellow) and the generators look good painted black.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:47 pm

Thanks, but I am still confused.... the nut spins with the shaft/plulley/fan, so don't you need a way to hold the shaft stationary??
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Yep, you're right

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:07 pm

Buzzardwing, you're right on the trail. You'll need to carefully jam a screwdriver or something into the generator fan and then use an impact wrench to get it loose. It has been done with a regular wrench before, but that is really tough. I'd put the generator in a good sized vise - being very careful of the terminals, etc., and maybe even wrap a rag or such around the generator case to avoid scuffing the case. Then, pop the nut with something like PB or WD and let it sit for a short bit. Next, do the job with the above mentioned tools. Should come right off. 8)

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:42 pm

Please don't jam anything in the fan to keep it from turning... you will bend it. The reason for using an impact wrench is the inertia of the armature is enough to allow the impact to remove the nut.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:41 pm

Got it (me thinks). I have the PB Blaster soaking in and may give it a shot in a few minutes.

Anybody know how freely it should turn?? The bearings seem a bit stiff to me, but then again they are likely orignal (33 years does go by fast). Seems it may be worth a trip to the rebuilder up in the big city.

splicer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby splicer » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:15 pm

Hey BW, the gen. should spin very easy. Rebuilt mine a while back, replaced every single part & piece for 118.00 including shipping. I believe it was http://www.classicgenerator.com that had all the parts in stock.
'57 Lo-Boy # 5078
'75 ford 2000

If you think you can or you think you can't...your right
- Henry Ford

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:02 pm

I took a look at their web site... some very nice looking restorations!
I think I will take a trip up to an old time ignition place in Providence. He does good work and I could possibly get a decent price. Although I suspect that the bearings alone would be $20. Seems worthwhile since the thing is on my bench anyway.
I have been trying to be very cautious getting the paint off it, he may have a better idea.
I was a technician in another life, but anything to do with motors was mostly a judgement call or a trip to a local motor shop. I do know enough that a generator is just a DC motor.

And, I don't have a socket that fits the nut! Guess I should ask Santa for a decent set of impact sockets.

Return to “Farmall Cub”