This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Case/IH Ironguard versus Valspar

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Re: Case/IH Ironguard versus Valspar

Postby Clark Thompson » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:28 pm

I have read all the post on this valspar / Iron guard paint. Years ago I used this paint. I hadnt had any real luck with the duriability of this stuff. In a few years it would either be pealing off or fading from setting in the sun. I painted my IH I-9 13 years ago with valspar IH red.Frome case IH. This tractor took 2 gallons to paint. Theres is a lot of tractor. IT looked real good but it would not cure. I did use their hardener too.It eventually started to get milky. I ended up stripping the whole tractor down to bare metal again! I decided then that I would only use quality paint from that point on. I decided after trying imeron, dupont and a few others to go with PPG. The reason being that PPG acrylic enamel is easy to apply and does not run easy. I Use the PPG hardener and PPG reducers.Drys to the touch in 30 minutes. It holds up real well. PPG IH red is a little expensive $285.00 a galon but for a show tractor it is worth it. PPG also offers a industrial paint called PPG omnie. It is 1/3 the cost but is equally easy to paint with and the duribility is just as good.For me it is easier to use on manufacturers paint>Then you dont have to worry about mixing different stuff then having them not go together getting like cottage cheese! I can go to town to the suto parts store( real store) and get any color I want in a good quality paint. I have found that PPG's prices are just about as good as anyones.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby DanR » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:00 am

As sort of a test I painted some wheels with IronGard, CIH reducer, and Valspar hardener. I brushed rather than sprayed. The results were very good. To clean the brush I tried paint thinner which did only a marginal job of thinning the paint and no ethanol gas which curdled the paint on the brush. I'm not going to clean a brush with the $10 a quart CIH reducer. Next time I'll try a foam throw away brush.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dusty B » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:00 pm

Have used Wal-Mart self etching primer and Valspar rattle can for years (Farm & Fleet). Have one tractor that has been painted for 12-15 years and still looks good! Not a trailer queen and stored inside but other than the usual unavoidable scratches I'm a happy camper! My tractors are mostly work tractors so they aren't pampered!! Just say'n! Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Return to “Farmall Cub”