This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pulling the pulley

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Pulling the pulley

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:27 pm

for years I've fought getting crankshaft pulleys off with a gear puller and seperator. Broke my puller on the last one and had to go rent one from Autozone. I decided to steal some ideas from Jim Becker, George Willer, as well as maybe some others and came up with a better idea. Don't have to remove the TDC pointer, and all it takes to remove a pulley is a few good pulls on the jack handle. A local welding shop charged $35 to make the 2 brakcets, the threaded rod and center bolt to push on was about $10, and the 5 ton Sears jack I bought 20 years ago, so i don't remember the price of it. It worked great, easiest pulley I ever removed.

If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Pulley Removal

Postby Bill V in Md » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:42 pm

Patent pending, John?
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:44 pm

Hey John,

Nice set-up :!: Hope you don't mind me copying the pictures for future reference. I, too, am tired of fumbling around with the splitter and two-jaw puller. :twisted: I'll need to remove the crank pulley from ole' Homely in a few weeks and this is just what I will need. :wink:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:49 pm

The plate that goes behind the pulley is 1/2 inch thick, and I used 3/4 inch trheaded rod, though a smaller rod probably would have worked.

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:38 pm

I made one also It looks a little different but does the same job Took a pulley off tonight took about 3 minuts to do the job.
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Pulley puller

Postby sviennadan » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:57 pm

I'd like to get a rig, if your welding shop is still willing. How do I get the money to you, and how quickly can I get one? (The tractor's apart in the garage, and the truck needs a valve job, postehaste.)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:26 pm

I'll call the shop tomorrow and see how busy they are. I'm guessing welding and shippping aobut 1 1/2 weeks. You'll need to provide the 5 ton jack and bolts. If I can get one that quick do you want me to go ahead if thwy will still make them for $35? This time of year welding gets slow, so thay probalby can get to it soon.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:17 am

Here is another twist on the same idea. Thought I was going to bust the jack on this one. It finally came with a very loud bang!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:38 am

WKPOOR what is the diameter of the hole in the one with the slot? and the width of the slot? Does it fetch up on the taper ahead of the Pulley?

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:08 am

I have never had or seen one of those pulleys off of the crank and am wondering, Is there a keyway slot for alignment on the crank or does it have to carefully be aligned upon installation?.
Then came Bronson

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:47 am

JB, there is a keyway.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:51 am

I just called the welding shop that made my puller bracketd, and they can make some more this week. They aren't as pretty as WK's but do work good.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:41 pm

Sorry I'm just now getting back to the forum. I'm at work tonight so I can't answer your question till tomorrow. I know that it contacts the radius of the pulley and is chamfered to fit that area.

sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sviennadan » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:38 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I'll call the shop tomorrow and see how busy they are. I'm guessing welding and shippping aobut 1 1/2 weeks. You'll need to provide the 5 ton jack and bolts. If I can get one that quick do you want me to go ahead if thwy will still make them for $35? This time of year welding gets slow, so thay probalby can get to it soon.

Definitely. The sooner the better. How do you want me to pay you/them?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:37 pm

The brackets are ready. They were cut with a torch and like me, are a little crude, but functional. They will fit in a flate rate box, so shipping will be $7.70 priority or $14.50 standard, your choice. LOL. the welding shop charged $35, so total is $42.70. Email or pm me to make payment arrangements.