This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I'm not ready

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

I'm not ready

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:55 am

As of 7:30 this morning there was 5 inches of snow on the ground in Kansas City, Mo and still snowing. It's expected in my area late this evening, but I don't have my chains or snow blade mounted yet. Any volunteers? :lol: The only thing saving me is that it's expected to mostly go north.

Just heard an update. it's been moved up to late afternoon, nothing serious expected.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Shopp'n Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Shopp'n Cubs » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:19 am

Hey John, good luck with the snow.

You know this is a funny year. I always have people around the country talk with me that think MN is a winter tundra most of the year! Yesterday it was snowing in Texas, KS is getting a nice coating, and MN has yet to see even flurries this year :lol:

Heck, we're still going to the beach :wink: :lol:

Guy
'55 Cub, (but always shopp'n!) '02 Kub, '57 Ford 640

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby farmallcub49 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:17 am

I know what you mean. Yesterday took a swim in lake at about 7 am and the water was a warm 35 degrees!!!

I have both my blades mounted, but have been thinking about switching back to the mower decks, grass is starting to get long!
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:34 am

10:30, sleet and wet snow falling. this is not the way they predicted it. Reminds me of the man that called the local tv station weather forecaster, and said "I wanted you to know I just finished shoveling 6 inches of partly cloudy out of my driveway".

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Steve Butram » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:09 pm

John . Just sitting here at the Fire Station looking out at the flag taking a beating . We have been recieving high winds and heavy rain all morning and are expecting an accumulation of @ 3" of snow tonight. I hope the drivers on the Interstate are prepared. It is always a challenge to drive the 75' ladder truck on the snow covered streets. Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:03 pm

John-Cub,

Well I am in about the same boat as yourself. Were are in that same storm sytem, maybe about 130 miles or so apart?. I got up this morning and just some slight flurries, but nothing was sticking. NOW, got 5 inches or more of the wet, slushy, messy and nasty old crud. I had to dig all through my truck to find my snow brush, when I got off of work and it WAS sticking by then.

Unlike you, I was STUPID, I sold my 8N with the rear blade last week and didn't get a blade for the Cub. I called my local Case/IH dealer today and they told me they HAD one, but sold it last week for 400 bucks. That is twice I have sat on my rear end and lost out on a front mount blade. They said they get them in every once in a while and would call my when they get another one.

Tell you what, I'll send you down my two boys.....after they shovel me out, LOL!

Just my luck, over 2 years and never enough snow to even bother with the blade on the 8N and when I don't have it, the first snow I need a balde.

Ernie, bring me back my Ford!!!!!

Gene Chestnutt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gene Chestnutt » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:12 am

You guys need to think about becoming Winter Texans. Down here in deep south Texas (Rio Grande Valley) mid 70's and sunny. Winter down here only last about day and a half, if you can call it winter. I sure do miss the Carolinas and being able to tell the difference between spring, summer, fall, and winter. Down here we only have two seasons--warm and hot.
Gene Chestnutt

splicer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby splicer » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:17 am

Hey John,
Let me know when it's convenient for you, and I'll come over and attach your goodies to your cub. Got my blade on a few days ago, haven't installed chains yet.
'57 Lo-Boy # 5078
'75 ford 2000

If you think you can or you think you can't...your right
- Henry Ford

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:02 am

Thanks fellas, but we got lucky and the snow missed us this time, but it did get down to 21 last night. My son is home to visit (been living in Kansas city, HA!HA!) and it's supposed to be 51 Friday, so I'll volunteer him to help install them.

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:57 am

gees, i better get going... my 129 CC is getting a 2 stage snow blower off a 1782 CC i think. but it has required some modifications, mostly o the idler pulley setup. got it on and lifting, but no drive set-up yet.

mower deck is still on the cub....snow blade in pieces leaning up against the wall. :oops:

actually, i've got an early start on NEXT winter's setup :lol:
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:09 pm

Might be hard to believe but it snowed here in Acton, Ca. most of the day on the 21st. Didn't stick but the local mountains got about 3'. Sent some friends of yours back to New Jersey with a good story to tell.
Always try the easiest thing first.

Maritimer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Maritimer » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:53 pm

Well, I think I got you guy's beat. Last week we had 22" of the wet HEAVY stuff. It shut the whole province down for a few day's. The big transmission towers & lines were down. It crumpled them like toothpicks. My power was out for 4day's. Today now we have had hard rain all day. I imagine that there will be problems tomorrow
My dad once told me if it wasn't for bad luck......I wouldn't have any luck at all......

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:05 pm

Saw that on the news. Felt sorry for the people in the area. We have all gotten so dependent on electricity we are completely unprepared for an outage. I have been a camper for many years so I have portable stoves water bottles, etc. as well as having a basement wood stove and an emergency generator, so I am in better shape than most. But if we had an extended power outage in our area during cold weather it would be disastorus for a lot of people.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:49 pm

I know what you mean. We have what most people would call a cockamamy furmace. I don't know if they even make them that way any longer.
With a gas furnace even though you have gas available you still need electricty to run the thermostat and the gas valve. With mine the heat of the pilot generates a microvoltage that operates the gas valve via a low voltage thermostat. I will not have a circulator with no electricity but the furnace will run and we get some heat through thermo convection (just like a cub) If the temp gets too highin the furnace the high temp cut out opens the circuit until enough heat has disapated to let the gas come back on. It is not as efficient or as even heat as when the circulator is available but at least we don't freeze our butts off.
It wasn't my idea but when the house was built in 1959 that's what they put in. Most of my neighbors changed to more modern furnaces and lost this feature. In an outage due to an ice storm a few years back they complained about no heat.
I do take the cast iron burners out every 10 or 15 years and shake the accumulated rust and sediment out. It was a lot cheaper than changing out because the gas co guy could no longer adjust the flame. Of course the gas Co was glad to charge to replace.
Some people call it cheap. I prefere frugal.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop