This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Generator Charging

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gene Chestnutt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Generator Charging

Postby Gene Chestnutt » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:18 pm

I badly need some electrical help. What is the best procedure for determining if the generator on my 51 Cub is working or if the problem is with the regulator?
Gene Chestnutt

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:24 pm

Gene, ground the field terminal of the generator. This bypasses the regulator. If the generator does not charge under these conditions, it is most likely the problem. Check all of your connections too. Especially the grounds.
Run the tractor at least at half throttle and it should put out about 7 to 7 1/2 volts on a 6 volt system.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Gene Chestnutt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gene Chestnutt » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:33 pm

Thanks Bigdog. So if I ground the field terminal to the generator case I should see movement on the ammeter?
Gene Chestnutt

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:38 pm

Yes, it should deflect to the positive. If you don't have a voltmeter try turning on the lights. They should dim at idle and get brighter as the rpm's increase if the system is charging. It's not accurate but it at least tells you something.
Bigdog

Gene Chestnutt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gene Chestnutt » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:48 pm

Thanks again Bigdog. I got this rebuilt generator from the fine folks at TM so I have ever confidence in it working, but with electrical parts you never know for sure. How is the weather up in Ohio? Here its in the mid 70's and likely to stay that way. Welcome to winter in the Rio Grande Valley.
Gene Chestnutt

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:58 pm

We've got temperatures in the low 50's right now but there is a front moving in and the highs are supposed to be in the 30's by Thursday.

On the generator, don't forget to polarize the generator before doing all of these tests. It will not charge until it is polarized. A short jumper touched momentarily from the Batt. terminal to the Gen. terminal on the regulator. You should see a spark when you do this. This will set up the residual magnetic fields in the generator so it will charge with the right polarity. If you haven't done this yet, it might be why it is not charging.
Bigdog

Gene Chestnutt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gene Chestnutt » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:12 pm

Thanks again for the tip Bigdog. I had completely forgotten the polarizing. I will give it a try tomorrow and see what happens. I just bought my 4th Cub this week. The new one is a yellow/white with an IH C3 mower. Can't wait to haul it home. Someday I'll get around to making them all pretty like you and Mr. Willer. The one I am working on tonight is one you missed at Merlins. I haven't talked to him in quite a while but wouldn't be surprised if he has found some more Cubs hiding down in those Louisiana swamps of his. The fellow I bought the yellow Cub from also hauled home a nice little red Cub, runs decent, just has a leaky radiator. It wanted to come live with me also, but the wife wouldn't budge. For a $1000 and some TLC it would look good sitting in someone's barn. Anyone interested, contact me and I will gladly put you in contact with the seller.
Gene Chestnutt

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:36 pm

Gene,

The seller you're talking about is only a hour away from me. Was going up there last Saturday but other things came up. Driving by the place you wouldn't now there are that many tractors there would you :?: 8)

Gene Chestnutt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gene Chestnutt » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:44 pm

Donny,
I think Sam likes it that way. I have bought quite a bit from him and always enjoy my visits there, if for no other reason than just looking around. There are a lot worse ways to spend a Saturday afternoon. Beside the yellow Cub, I have a Farmall M at his place that I need to pick up. I traded him one of those big green JD 70's for it. My only problem with visiting Sam is I always talk myself into bringing something else home.
Gene Chestnutt

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:51 pm

Last week Sam told me to bring a trailer and a pocket full of $$$$$ and I'll go home happy :lol: :lol: I've been by his place 100 times in the last few months going back and forth to Texarkana and the only tractors I ever noticed were the ones out front on steel. I have to get up there soon :!: One never knows where or when Bigdog will show up :!: 8)

Gene Chestnutt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gene Chestnutt » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:59 pm

Donny,
I guess over the past few years I have bought 4 or 5 tractors from Sam and a host of parts. Always had good dealings with him. He seems to always be bringing "new" items for those of us who like old iron. He deals fairly and what you see is what you get. No dressing up the old girls. He leaves that for us to enjoy. His personal collection of Red Power is also woth a visit to see.
Gene Chestnutt

Return to “Farmall Cub”