This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

adjusting the stop on the hydraulic unit

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Peter S
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub
1963 cub

adjusting the stop on the hydraulic unit

Postby Peter S » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:11 am

I need a little help adjusting the stop on the hydraulic unit. I have the instructions from the servicman's handbook right in front of me. First it tells me I need a pressure guage (one that reads high pressures) for making the adjustment. Well, I know many of you have rebuilt your hydraulics with much success. Do each of you have a pressure guage? If not, how did you adjust the stop?

Here is a little background information. My first Cub was a 1951 which I used for mowing grass and plowing snow in the winter. The motor in it is running on borrowed time, just plain tired. I not could afford the downtime for a rebuild, so I bought a 1963 to take over the chores.

On my 51 the snow blade (54A) worked perfectly. In the up position there was plenty of ground clearance. When installed on my 63, in the up position, the blade barely comes off the ground. The previous owner(s) of the 63 didn't know what they were doing when it came to some of the repairs that were done and I'm certain that this is the case with the stop on the hydraulic unit. The way I see it, the stop will ultimately control the position of the rockshaft which in turn will have an effect how high the plow blade is raised. I just want to verify that stop is properly set.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Peter S on Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

1951 Cub, 1963 Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:05 pm

Rebuildign the hydralics is not a big challenge as long as you remember clean, clean, clean. You can adjust the stop without a gauge by listening carefully for when the pump is under load or not under load. Most farm supply stores sell pressure gauges for 7 or 8 doallars that will work. Look in the pressure washer department. They will be a higher pressure gauge than is necessary, but will do the job. You will also need a nipple and coupling to get enough clearance for the gauge.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:20 pm

Peter. It could be something simple such as all your connected parts. Is it on the best place at the rocker arm? I made the mistake once of connecting the blade to the top hole in the lift bracket (with the spring) instead of the bottom hole. Made more of a lift difference than I would have thought..........
Ron

Peter S
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub
1963 cub

Postby Peter S » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:41 pm

John, I'll give the farm supply store a try. If they don't have a guage I'll try it by ear.

Ron, I know what you're saying, but that's not the case here. There is just a big difference from the 51' to the 63' using the same exact setup. I know that the stop on the hydraulic block on the 63' had been messed with, that's why I'm hoping resetting it will give me the proper amount of lift.

Thank you both for your suggestions.
Peter

1951 Cub, 1963 Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:31 pm

Ron, I think Scotty is referring to the stop adjustment on the bottm of the tc unit that controls how far the unit is allowed to move rather than the moveable stops on the contol quadrant.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:55 pm

Got it NOW, John. Never messed with the stops on the unit itself. I was wondering why it would be bad to lower the stop all the way :oops:
Ron

Return to “Farmall Cub”