This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cranking Motor insulators

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jsmit
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cranking Motor insulators

Postby jsmit » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:28 pm

Please discuss the proper order of installing the wires and insulators on the cranking motor of a 1952 Farmall Cub tractor. Getting it wrong makes pretty sparks!

My starter has the switch on the cranking motor, not on the instrument panel like later versions

Thanks
JS
Cub is running again! Just troubleshooting now!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:30 pm

jsmit,

On the inside of the switch there are 2 insulators, one on each side of the contactor. On the outside of the switch there is a round fiber washer that sits on the contactor stud. On top of the washer sits the started lever pivot. This washer keeps the stud from contacting the body or the pivot. On top of the pivot there's a thick paper like insulator. On top of the paper insulator is a flat washer and a nut to hold it all together. Then the cable, the wire to the ammeter, a washer and a nut.

Do this in the dark as it will be easier to tell if you've got it wrong :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

jsmit
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jsmit » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:37 pm

Thanks, got it, I think. I am only concerned with wiring the contactor stud. Switch is unharmed by me so far.

I will wire as described, the fiber washer was in the wrong location, I think, letting the pivot hit the stud and thereby grounding and sparking? (in theory?) I am so damn electrically challanged it ain't even funny anymore!

Thanks again.
Jason

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:56 pm

Which walden are you? The one in Greene county or the one out by Buffalo?
I am on Staten Island but my Low Boy is near Walton. That is far enough away that the Cub Locators won't find it. Besides if they get too close the neighbors trained shepards or 357 can change minds.
Scared me one night. We had gotten a new car. Went up state and when i got there answered the call of nature. While sitting on the Hopper I heard "Who'se here" and saw the business end of the 357 come around the corner. Joe Joe it's me Bill! I nominated him for the good neioghbor of the year award. Of course now I always call ahead and let him know that I am coming. That's my kind of neighbor!

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:48 pm

Bill. Could it be near "Balding" :?:
Ron

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm

Oh lord above not that one again. Believe I have all the balding needed for all of us. In spite of that some of my friends call me curley. I womder about their eye sight and call them Specs. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

jsmit
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jsmit » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:05 am

Believe it or not, Walden is in Orange Co. near Newburgh (NW, I think). We are roughly 1/2 way between NYC and Albany, choose your poison, if you know what I mean. Good neighbors are definetely worth their weight in gold! Orange county, I believe is one of the remaining enlightened counties that went Republican in the big election. Too bad we can't out weigh the cities anymore in these damn elections.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:33 am

Sorry I had the county wrong. I know where your Walden is. Strange enough Mapquest shows a second one in the western part of the state.

Bill
Last edited by beaconlight on Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:47 pm

Duplicate place names aren't that unusual. I never have been able to find Walden in western NY. I think it may now be part of Cheektowaga. Texas has quite a few duplicates. Try Fairview, TX in Mapquest. It finds 10 of them.

Return to “Farmall Cub”