This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How Ironic

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

How Ironic

Postby Cub-Bud » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:51 pm

There is a bit of Cub history surrounding this Ebay ad...anyone besides me know what it is :?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50372&item=4335122245&rd=1
Last edited by Cub-Bud on Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:49 pm

If it's the one I think it is, it's made a very long trip.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:28 pm

Which one would that be, John :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:36 pm

$20 is too high for that CC. LOL
Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:47 am

Cub-bud,

Don't know the history here, but I am wondering something.

Are these older Cub Cadets worth much? Reason I am asking is I know where there is one newer than this one (late 60's maybe) that looks about like this but has a hydrastat and he told me it was the 1st or 2nd year that IH made them with the hydrastat. If remember correctly it has a generator/starter combination and I am thinking a 12 maybe 14 horse Kohler single cylinder engine. I don't recall the model off the top of my head.

He was wanting $300 bucks for it, ( I think he would take less) he told me that he bought it new and it still ran, but the carb. needed rebuilt or replaced. That's been 20 years ago. He has all the original books, all the tires were flat and dry-rotted, seat was cracked, but has been inside (leaky barn) for all these years. He told me that he parked it in the barn after fighting the carb. all the last summer he used it. That when spring came again, (1984) he said that he went out and tired to start it and decided that he wasn't going to fight it again, so he went out and bought a new Deere and the Cub has been sitting there ever since.

I was thinking about buying it, but when I was needing a lawn tractor, I wanted something newer, that didn't need much work, so that's why I went ahead bought my 318 Deere.

Now that I have my little Farmall Cub, I thought this might be a nice little project to restore. Everything appears to be intact. The deck looked to be in good shape, not rusted out. The whole thing needs a good sandblasting, dust, some surface rust, faded paint and oh yeah bird poop all over, nothing major however.

What do you think, is $300 a good price?

John

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Old Cub Cadets

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:23 am

John:

Are the worth very much money. For $500- to $1000- you can get a running older Cub Cadet in very good condition .

I paid $500.00 for the last hydrostat (105) in running condtion. I have use that tractor for two summers. I am currently overhauling the engine. Total cost of the overhaul will be under $100.00 and that's for a new piston, gasket set and exhaust valve.

The biggest problem with Cub Cadets is finding a good deck. If the Kohler engine is not rebuildable, a new one will cost big bucks.

The Kohler engine used in the first Cub Cadets were 7 horse power. Later the added the 10 Hp. My guess is that the hydrostat you are looking at is a 10 HP Kohler.

Is $300.00 a good price. My opinion is that price is to high. I'd start out at $50.00 to $100.00 and wouldn't go much over the $100.00.

Eugene

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:21 am

Cub-Bud wrote:Which one would that be, John :?:
I was thinking about the lawn tractor where the guy drove cross country to visit his brother, but can't find the article now, and don't remember if it was a Cadet or not.

mymariah
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mymariah » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:29 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Re: How Ironic

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:12 pm

Cub-Bud wrote:There is a bit of Cub history surrounding this Ebay ad...anyone besides me know what it is :?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50372&item=4335122245&rd=1

well it isn't the one I was thinking about, so what is the history?

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:35 pm

John,
He drove from Iowa to Wisconsin........on a JD. It's a good thing it wasn't cross country .....the Deer would of never made it. LOL
Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:38 pm

So cub bud is this the history you talked about?
If not what is the story???
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:45 pm

I paid $200.00 for a 102 Cub Cadet in August of 2003 that needed a carb overhaul to get it running. I spent about $50.00 on carb parts and a new plug and it started right up. :shock: I was so happy with it that I took it to the 3rd Cub-Arama and my wife and daughter drove/rode it in the parade. :D :D I have cut grass with it several times over the past year. It will get the much needed overhaul over the winter. :wink:

When IH first designed the cub, they expected a large number of them to be sold to tobacco farmers and decided that the tractor should be built somewhere inside the tobacco belt (Kentucky, Tennessee, North or South Carolina). In 1945, land was purchased on which a new factory would be erected to build the Farmall Cub. However, in 1946, IH scrapped that idea and purchased the old Curtis Aircraft facility from the WAA in Louisville, KY. The town/site that never became the home of the Farmall Cub.....Wood River, IL. :wink:

Greg Norman

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:50 pm

Hey Bud,

Next thing you know they'll be making cheese in Mississippi and then you'll have to get a French Cub :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pretty interesting :!: Thanks 8)

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:58 pm

Hey Donnie,

I was sure that one of the "wisemen" had the answer to this one. :o

For those of you that have Ken's book FARMALL CUB AND CUB CADET, turn to page 26 and read the first paragraph under "Building a Factory for the Cub".

Greg Norman

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:17 pm

Hey Donny,

They do make cheese in Mississippi at Mississippi State University. I might
add that it is very good. I am totaly surprised that Cub Bud did not jump
in here and reply to that comment.

That is why Cubs are so valuable down here. You can park two of them in
a regular carking spot on campus.

Return to “Farmall Cub”