This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Headlight Woes

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Headlight Woes

Postby Donny M » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:22 pm

Thanks to the kind heart of Dan England I now have lenses for the headlights on 49-1. Problem is I can't quite figure how the gaskets attach. So...how do the gaskets attach :?: Does the gasket compress into the light body :?: 8)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:27 pm

Hey Donnie,

The gasket fits around the headlight ring and cradles the lens.

Oh yeah, don't forget to use dielectric grease on the bulbs :!: :lol: :lol:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:37 pm

Dang Bud! You beat me to it! :lol:
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:01 pm

You won't find any dielectric on my tractor unless it's on me :!: :!:

Should have shaved this morning :lol: :lol: NOT :!: :!: 8)

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:26 pm

And do it over your bed because you will drop one lense at least.
Young man for work, old man for advice

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:06 am

Hey can these gaskets still be gotton, OK bad grammar, PURCHASED ???

Jim Hudson wrote:And do it over your bed because you will drop one lense at least.

Jim,

Sounds like the "Voice of Experience" or "School of Hard Knocks" here.

I did the same thing with an original "Model A" Ford headlight lense, NOPE, not even mine, EVEN WORSE, my dad's STUPID, STUPID, STUPID !!!!

That sucker broke into many pieces, luckily (for my sake) I replaced my original headlights with sealed beams and had a replacement for dad's "A"

John

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:20 am

jniekamp wrote:Hey can these gaskets still be PURCHASED ???

John

I see them in the OEM catalog for $4.25 each and I think I-H/Case still has them but not sure.
Then came Bronson

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:17 pm

Hey Donny,

Is that die-electric what happens when your CUB will not start? :lol: :cry: :cry:

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:28 pm

If Donny knows enough to hold a job working on this stuff http://www.novswr.com/ What is a simple Cub light switch?
Young man for work, old man for advice

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:45 pm

Russ wrote:
Is that die-electric what happens when your CUB will not start?

Only if it's magneto related :!: But you won't find any dielectric grease in my mags :!: :lol:

Jim wrote:
If Donny knows enough to hold a job working on this stuff http://www.novswr.com/ What is a simple Cub light switch?

I was an employee of these folks http://www.dielectric.com for 13 years and now do contract work for them. (Same town as where Jeff M is from).

I've been doing things on my own for 17 years. The hard part is all the paper work :( involved with that stuff and of course Cub switches :lol: :lol: 8)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:18 pm

jniekamp wrote:
Hey can these gaskets still be PURCHASED ???

John

John:

They sure can. I ordered a pair from my CaseIH Dealer a few months ago to replace the torn up ones in Ellie's eyes. The ones below are for the early tear drop style headlights.

Part #53527D

Quantity in Basket: none
Code: 53527D
Price: $4.89

Case Tractor Parts

However:

358 892 R91 - Gasket for the sealed beam style light is not found on the CaseIH server.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:28 am

Rudi,

TNX, I only have the one light (rear) and had it out the other day and noticed that this seal was in real bad shape. I don't know if the rear light would be the same as the fronts. I never think about asking about them while I am at the dealer.

Oh by the way, I emailed the gentleman up at Chowd's and he said that he didn't have any headlights from my tactor at the moment, got any other suppliers Rudi? Remember, I need cheap, I is poor!

John

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:29 am

Any of the teardrop lamps use the same gasket whether headlight or combination light, if that was your question.

Standard rear work light was the same as the headlight, id that was your question.

Rear combination lights were different from the headlights and in some cases were not even the same style (flat headlights could be paired with teardrop combination rear lights), if that was your question.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:47 am

The headlight gaskets are still available from Case/IH.

The part number is 53527D.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:13 pm

Thanks Jim and Cub-Bud,

I'm not sure what mine had originally on the front. On the rear I have the tear-drop type combination type. When I got my Lo-Boy it HAD these UGLY universal rubber housing type for it's headlights. They did not go back on. I am still looking for whatever comes along.

I am at the point now, if I can find any kind of smaller tractor headlight, no matter if it's IH or not as long as it has a steel housing and both of them match one another. I would be most happy.

The rear light is all intact with the exception needing a new switch and a new gasket or seal.

Tell me something, if you can. how does this little switch turn on the rear work light work? Meaning: turn the switch once and it turns on the "white" bulb and then turn once more turns it back "off and turns on the "red" bulb (lense) once more and it shuts them both off? I would assume, that BOTH lights wouldn't be on at the same time, I couldn't see a point to that.

I have the broken switch, but the "D" shaft is broken and there's not even enough area left to trun it with a pair of needle nose pliers. So I can't turn it to to check to see how the continuity from each wire flows to what.

John

Return to “Farmall Cub”