This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Jack Stands

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Soldner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Jack Stands

Postby Soldner » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:43 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm wondering if anyone knows of plans for any kind of jack stands for the Cub? I want to get the Cub sitting on some stands, and i just want some expert advise before i go diving in. Thanks.

Soldner

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:59 pm

Bob G. designed and built some splitting stands specifically for cubs. They are great and allow for some mobility after splitting. He had some for sale but I don't know if he has any left. Perhaps he will see this and respond if he has any left. Whatever you end up using remember to secure the front axle by driving wedges between the axle and the radiator bottom casting before you split the tractor.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:02 pm

Russ Leggitt also has a nice little one-legged stand he made for splitting a cub. He might email some pics to you.....send him a PM.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:00 pm

I would like to see photos of those stands if any are available.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Soldner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Soldner » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:16 pm

Thanks everyone, I just was wondering how could i get a hold of Russ?

Alabamacub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Alabamacub » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:27 pm

l0 wrote:I would like to see photos of those stands if any are available.

The tractor stand pictures I sent you are from Bob G. when I purchased my set. I hope the E-mail went through okay.

Robert
Alabamacub

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:59 pm

Thanks Alabamcub. I got the pictures.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:05 pm

Guys:

If you have a look at Jethro's Restoration, you will see some so-so pics of the jack stands I built for under 40 bucks Cdn. I can do quick drawings if you wish.

They really are simple. I am not a welder - just learning and I was able to do this. The stands are just some 3/16" plate, some 1"x1" and 1-1/4"x1-1/4" square tubing, a couple of bolts and nuts and a bit of welding. Very simple to make. If I remember correctly, it took all of 2 hours or so. A nice quiet afternoon with a few cups of coffee or it you prefer less than a 6 pack :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:05 pm

"Thanks everyone, I just was wondering how could i get a hold of Russ"?

I just got off the phone with Russ. The stands he has were made by Bob G. I was mistaken when I told you that he had made them.

Send Russ a PM (private message) and he will get back to you.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:18 pm

I have a set of Bob G's (Grootgoed) stands, as many on the list do. I have an email address for him, but I will only give it privately.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Soldner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Soldner » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:26 am

Rudi & Everyone,
Thanks so much, i saw your stands something like a month ago, and i just could not remember where i saw them. I really liked how you bolted them to the lower drawbar holes. I'm going to draw up some plans simular to yours, and try my hand at building them in the next week or so. Thanks so much for everyone's advice! (This is my first tractor i'm restoring.) I just finished my dad's '72 Cub Cadet 129, and my girlfriend's grandpa left her dad his '49 Farmall Cub, and they wanted it restored, so the girlfriend and I are going to restore it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:39 am

The one nice thing about the stands I made is that they can be used by those of us who cannot afford a shop with a really good concrete floor. Bob's stands are awesome, but would never work in my situation as my floor has broken up very badly over the last 15 years.

With the base plates removeable, you can fabricate another base set that use pneumatic rubber tires -- same style as I used on the electrolysis tank. That way the tractor can be moved around on uneven or gravel surfaces, which in my situation is exactly what I need.

I would make an extra pair of the taller jacks for the torque tube though. For Jethro it was not an issue as everything was coming apart, but I certainly would use another pair if I was splitting the tractor on a rebuild.

Just a thought.

Let me know if you need any measurements.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:40 pm

Soldner:

I found the measurements for the jacks:

One pair of jacks were made to fit the implement pads on the torque tube. The second set of jacks wer made to fit the drawbar pads on the finals.

I have loaned them out to a buddy, but can get the measurements if you need them.

Suffice to say this:

You need
4 pieces 3"x3" flat steel
4 pieces 1"x1" tubing about 6 " long (inside is 1x1)
2 pieces 1"x1" tubing about 27" long (outside is 1x1)
2 pieces 1"x1" tubing about 14" long (outside is 1x1)
4 pieces 3'x6" flat steel (I think I used 1/4")

The 6" pieces get welded (centred) on each of the 3x3 pieces of 1/4", after they have a hole drilled in them to accept a bolt. I think I used 3/8' bolts. All the 1x1 tubing has the same hole drilled in them to mate up with the hole in the 6" pieces.

The short tubing has the 3x6 pieces welded horizontally, while the long tubing has the 3x6 pieces welded vertically. I think the pics show this when viewed at 100%.

The 3x6 pieces are drilled with 5/8 holes to match the mounting holes in the finals and on the torque tubes.

The beauty of this system, is that I can manufacture wheeled versions, simply by putting casters or tube type small tires welded to some 1x1 to fit the legs and now I will have moveable jacks...

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:29 pm

Bob post his on e-mail address right here on the board
http://www.farmallcub.com/cubadvt/detail.php?cat=6&de=302
Young man for work, old man for advice

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:12 pm

Jim Hudson wrote:Bob post his on e-mail address right here on the board
http://www.farmallcub.com/cubadvt/detail.php?cat=6&de=302

:shock: Thats kinda funny Jim that you found that add today. It shows that it was listed in 2002 and ends today. :P
Then came Bronson

Return to “Farmall Cub”