This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Homely Update

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Homely Update

Postby Cub-Bud » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:41 pm

I had a chance over the past two weekends to tear into cub #3, Homely, and access his repair needs. It appears the motor has been into before as the rod bearings are .010 undersize and the pistons and rings are .030 oversize. The ring gap on all four cylinders is approx. .025. Oh yeah, I broke off two bolts flush with the top of the block while taking the head off ( first for me). :x I decided to remove the top plate/gear shifter and found some rust and a bent shifting fork. I then removed the drain plug from the transmission and drained all the WATER out. :shock: I was really concerned about the condition of the ring gear so, I removed the PTO assembly from the rear of the tractor...a little rust. The gear oil is now gear paste and has settled nicely in the bottom of the transmission case. The pilot on the PTO shaft is worn in half and the PTO bearing is frozen.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:00 pm

Since the pto pilot bushing is that badly worn, check the end of the pto shaft where it goes into the bushing to make sure it is still round and not flattened on one side. When I got my 48 about 17 years ago it had never, so far as I could tell, had anything hooked to the pto, so the shaft just sat in the same place all the time and wore a flat spot on one side. At first it would wear out a bushing in about 14 months or so, but as time progressed it got to the point I would have to replace it every 3 or 4 weeks. When it reached that point 5 or 6 years ago I bought a used pto shaft and put in it. Couldn't find new ones at that time.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:17 pm

Hey Bud,

I have to take exception with naming a Cub Homley :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

While it's true that some Cubs are unbecoming, no Cub is Homley :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

It sounds like Homley is in fairly decent shape. I know he/she will be all fixed up soon :!: 8)

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:19 pm

John do i read this right. The shaft wore a flat spot by not being used all those years.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:26 pm

beaconlight wrote:John do i read this right. The shaft wore a flat spot by not being used all those years.
Bill
That's correct. It sat there not turning for 30+ years, and wore through the bushing, then the trans shaft apparently started grinding on the pto shaft. When the bushing would become worn it would make an awful chattering noise that sounded like a bad bearing. That was with pto stopped. When it was running, there was no noise.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:58 pm

Hey Donnie,

Homely is not homeless. He is tucked safely away, under radar, getting all the TLC he deserves and needs. He will be "in the hunt" for the ugly cub contest on this site and at the Cubarama next year. No paint and decals for him :!:

I chose the name with Webster's fourth definition in mind:

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=homely&x=17&y=20

John,

I will need to replace the bushing, bearing, seal, and the shaft if I intend to use the PTO.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:19 pm

Bud,

My mistake :!: I thought you were talking about definition #4: :lol: :lol: :lol:
plain or unattractive in appearance
:lol: :lol:
It's the unattractive part that doesn't fit a Cub :cry:

I stand by what I posted earlier:
I have to take exception with naming a Cub Homley :lol: :lol: :lol:

While it's true that some Cubs are unbecoming, no Cub is Homley :!: :lol: :lol:

Unbecoming:

not becoming <an unbecoming dress>; especially : not according with the standards appropriate to one's position or condition of life.

According to the same site.

I'm just posting to get to 1K :wink: :wink: plus a little humor never hurts :!: 8)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Homely

Postby Eugene » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:11 am

Homely. I think the Cub is rather cute. My wife disagrees. When I brough the Cub home my wife said "Next time buy a cute tractor". I wonder what she would have said if the Cub had been a "L" John Deere.

The good point about my wife's comment is that it was an invitation to purchase another tractor. I think.

Eugene

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:28 am

Test your theory real quick before she realizes what door she left open!
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”