This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

testing condensor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Pete
10+ Years
10+ Years

testing condensor

Postby Pete » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:01 am

Hello all --

I was asked a question that I don't know the answer to. This is admittedly not an unusual occurrance, but it regards ignitions so now I want to find out. How does one bench test a suspected bad condensor?

Practically speaking I think we all just put a new one in and test by replacement, but if one really wanted to know how would you do it?

Similarly, what capacitance is required for, say, a J4 mag? I also dabble in other tractors and for the Wico and Eisemann mags on Caterpillars 20 mF works well but seems to have been arrived at by lots of guessing. (the heavy rubberized capacitors available from electronics shops seem to hold up better than the aluminum can style.)

Many thanks,

Pete P.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:51 am

only way I know is to open your check book and buy an expensive piece of test gear that most people probably will never get a pay back from. The original test bench that IH reccomended to their service people have had one built into it. The problem is that you are testing the cond with out heat and vibration of the engine running. As for MFD no idea
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:16 am

Condensors can be easily checked by using an analog volt-ohmeter. You can find these priced reasonably many places. To test the condensor, place the meter on the highest ohm scale it has. Now, place one lead of the meter on the condensor housing, then while observing the meter, touch the other lead to the condensor lead. You should see a momentary "kick" of the needle and it should return to infinity. Reverse the leads and repeat and it should do the same thing in both directions.
If the condensor shows any resistance rather than infinity, it is defective. This test will not necessarily fail a condensor that is breaking down under heat or load but what it does do is eliminate the definitely bad ones.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:41 pm

Hook battery voltage across it to charge it up Then give it to someone to hold. If they throw it down and start dancing it most likely is good if you can find it.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:46 pm

Jim Hudson wrote:Hook battery voltage across it to charge it up Then give it to someone to hold. If they throw it down and start dancing it most likely is good if you can find it.

Jim. How about the tongue test :!: Like we do to test batteries.
Ron

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Southern Wit and humor at it's best.

Postby SundaySailor » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:57 pm

Jim,

How did I know you'd come up with something like that? Next thing you know, you'd try to convince them to dress up in an Indian costume with condensor in hand and wish for rain.

Rick :shock:
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:04 pm

Jim Hudson wrote:Hook battery voltage across it to charge it up Then give it to someone to hold. If they throw it down and start dancing it most likely is good if you can find it.
We used to do that in my electroics class, except we would charge tehm with 600 volts and throw them to someone to catch. 12 volts won't do that much in your hand, but if they touch it to their tongue. HA!HA!
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:17 pm

Same way we tested to see how many phones some one had on a line or if the cable was open and how far out.
Only problem is this with a tractor or auto condersor will give many false positives. Of course all failures are beyond hope. If I replace a condensor and it doesn't do anything it is considered good for the next time. My feeling is save the exotic stuff for what needs it. Just change it. If the tractor has run all morning Put gas in at lunch and check the oil whether uit needs it or not. Heck i filled my belly, why not the tractor. As desert I check the bottom of the sediment bowl Lot better than running out of gas the other side of where ever or up in the woods. Though I did that oonce and ran back home on chain saw gas. Never again..
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Pete
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Pete » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:07 am

Thanks guys! I didn't think there was a really easy way, although I didn't know about the analog ohmmeter thing. Love Jim's idea!

Pete P.

Return to “Farmall Cub”