This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oil filter cover (Cap)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
David D. smith
10+ Years
10+ Years

Oil filter cover (Cap)

Postby David D. smith » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:50 pm

When I bought #3 cub, The guy I bought it from said he was never able to get it sealed tight and it allways leaked. I looked at it on the tractor and it looked like it was installed upside down. It is dimpeled down, not domed up. Today I removed it to change the filter and found it is made of cast white metal not stamped steel. He had installed 2 gaskets and used silicone sealer but it still leaked. It was installed correctly but is not the right cap. The part # cast into it is 251406 R1, My parts book calls for a # 251406 R2. I think the bolt is bottoming out before it seals. I guess I will have to phone TM and get the correct cap. I wanted to order some other small parts also.
Dave <*)))><

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:14 pm

Your cap is the style originally on the early Cubs. It is caved in from overtightening. The stamped steel ones work a little better but still can require a little finesse to keep them from leaking.

David D. smith
10+ Years
10+ Years

cap

Postby David D. smith » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:26 pm

Jim, I would think the inside webbing would be cracked, and it is not. Also the part that fits inside the case is tapered and too large at the top.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-10/ ... pe004A.jpg
Dave <*)))><

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:28 pm

I've seen several sprung like that, and none of them were cracked or checked. The oil filter has a different size hole at the top and bottom, and the hollow bolt that goes through it is stepped to fit the different sizes.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:34 pm

It might have cracked if it had been bent all at once. But it was probably done a little bit at each oil change.

Return to “Farmall Cub”