This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sickle Sharpening

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Sickle Sharpening

Postby Brandon Webb » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:27 pm

What do you guys use for sharpening sickles? I had a real sharp one but I have mowed and mowed and it's finally dull. I've been looking for one of the old McCormick ones but everyone is so proud of them. I figured these farmers probably had some new type of sharpener laying around.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Sickle Sharpening

Postby Former Member » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:48 pm

I use a 4 or 4.5" electric grinder Brandon
Makes quick work of it and it does a good job

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:48 am

I don't know if there is a modern equivalent to a vintage sickle sharpener... Never seen Dad sharpen a sickle, ever. When the sections get dull and worn, he replaces them.

Machines have gotten huge, and they need to be in the field. It would take hours to sharpen all the sections on a 16' mower conditioner, for example. The big operators just slide out the dull bar and slide in a replacement bar with new sections.

Sections have been bolted, not riveted, on the big machines for at least 20 years. A guy with an air ratchet can replace the sections on a 16' bar in about an hour.

Nowadays, all you can find are discbines. Basically, they use rotary blades instead of sickles to cut the hay. Sickles are a thing of the past.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:15 am

When I was on the farm, we had a stone similar to the ones on the hand crank sharpeners. However, it was mounted on an arbor powered by an electric motor. When I restored my L-22, I clamped the knife into one of the old sharpeners and quickly found the sections, as already ground, were nowhere near the angle the sharpener was trying for. I wasn't going to crank on that thing long enough to reach the edges on those sections. So I reached for the nearest power tool that would do it. In my case it was an air powered die grinder with a cut-off wheel. It worked pretty well just free hand sharpening them. I suspect that Dale's 4"+ electric grinder would be faster and a little easier. Sharpening with a power grinder doesn't take long. I can't imagine replacing sections just because they are dull.

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:36 am

I use a 4" hand grinder with a fairly fine grit disc, as Dale does. I use it to sharpen mower blades, bushog blades as well as sickle bar sections. It is fast, lightweight and easy to use. I clamp the cutter bar to the edge of a workbench and work my way down one direction to sharpen all 1st half of sections. Then I go back the other direction and get the other half. I can sharpen a 7' bar from start to finish in about 30 min.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:39 pm

Here is what we used for years on the farm when cutting hay with the H. one note when using any kind of stationary sharpener you need a way to support the long end of the sickle, either a person or a wire or light rope from a high limb.

We powered it off the flat belt pulley on the side of the H, and always keep some spare sickles sharp and ready to go, in addition to carrying spare knives, rivets, and even a few guards on the tractor when cutting hay. For most people's current use with a cub though, i would suspect the 4 or 4 1/2 inch grinder to be the way to go.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:59 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Here is what we used for years on the farm when cutting hay with the H. one note when using any kind of stationary sharpener you need a way to support the long end of the sickle, either a person or a wire or light rope from a high limb.

We powered it off the flat belt pulley on the side of the H, and always keep some spare sickles sharp and ready to go, in addition to carrying spare knives, rivets, and even a few guards on the tractor when cutting hay. For most people's current use with a cub though, i would suspect the 4 or 4 1/2 inch grinder to be the way to go.

John,

I used (when Dad wasn't around :) ) the same kind of wheel. It was mounted on a stand and driven with an electric motor. A seven foot bar could be sharpened in about 15 minutes.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader

Postby Bezirk » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:01 pm

I have the same grinding wheel as John, but it is powered with an electric motor it belonged to my Grandad so it has been around for a long time, but it still sharpens the sections very well.
Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:46 pm

Jim Becker wrote: I can't imagine replacing sections just because they are dull.

Dull, and worn to a nub usually.

I think it has something to do with the serrated sections. They remain usably sharp until the serrations are gone.

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:01 pm

My brother and I used to sharpen all of dad's sickle bars to have them ready each weekend when he came home to mow hay or pasture. We clamped them in the vice biting that little flat piece that runs on the under side and used a flat file. Seems one of us was always cut bad each time that chore came around...
When I picked up my first mower I bought all new blades for less than $20 at TSC.
Makes me sick all that work way back then on worn out blades. :roll: 35 years ago he could probably replaced them all for $10 or less...
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

CDD
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CDD » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:07 am

Picked one of these up at an auction last night for $15. No one knew what it was. Mine has International on it not McCormick-Deering though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ThSnDnz6Rw

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:58 pm

International is the rare one and hardest to find. They made plain McCormick, McCormick Deering and the International.

jrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby jrenn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:46 pm

I have a deering sharpener but no stone left.Is there any sorce beside auction sales

Our Pass Thyme
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04435
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub with loader and fast hitch
1953 Farmall Cub
1970 International Cub
2011 JD X530
1995 Noma Garden Tractor
(previously owned a 1950 David Bradley walk behind tractor, if this counts?)

Postby Our Pass Thyme » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:57 am

If my blades need a touch up I try to get by with a flat file. I have 60 or so extra new blades so replacing is no big deal. I only have one triplet and that gets hit with the flat file if it needs it(rarely).

Return to “Farmall Cub”