This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Finally some pics of my Deere, Cub, and "other" ve

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Deere John
10+ Years
10+ Years

Finally some pics of my Deere, Cub, and "other" ve

Postby Deere John » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:48 am

finally got these up, fellas!

The pic of my kids and dog has the "before" picture of the wagon you see behind the John Deere LA. My kid's Great Grandpa made the wagon several years ago. The front is a JD manure spreader and the rest is just a metal frame he welded up. The axel is from a Model A Ford. All it ever had was a piece of rotted ply wood and a couple boards on the sides. I pulled it out of a hedge row along with lots of brush. I had some larch sawn up and I planed the lumber with my brother-in-law's help. I wire brushed the frame, primed, and painted it, then threw on a coat of BEAUTIFUL John Deere Green!!! :twisted: The kids love riding in it. My neighbor scrounged up the Ford V8 hub caps for the wheels.

The cub is the one I got for my daughter this summer (wrote about it when I joined the board). I don't think the grill is the fine mesh. I have it all stripped down as far as body work and only broke one screw off in the threads in the process! the seller just gave me the rear light with the red lens reflector inside it, which is pretty cool. My Rotty in the pics is our other son and quite the ham. It's a wonder I can get a picture off without him in it!

The odd-ball pic is of my 1968 M274A5 "Mule" as released from the USMC. It has an M40A1 106mm Recoilless Rifle with M8C .50 cal. spotter rifle mounted on it. It's all demilled ATF safe in case anyone gets worried! :wink: These were used in Vietnam right up into Beirute (SP?) It's a full-time 4x4, 1/2 ton truck that can haul 1000lbs (it weighs about 950lbs). This one has the original data plate and paint with matching registration numbers. It has a two cylinder Hercules engine rated at about 12HP. It's a pull start, but there are electric starter kits the military used. I also have a four wheel steer kit, but haven't had time to put it on.

The kids and Wifey (and me!) like taking this up the tractor trails for picnics and family time. I know it doesn't fit with this site, but I included it because it's part of my collection and I'm proud of it. I almost bought a FV432 fully tracked APC (similar to our M113 APC) from England this last summer, but went with the tractors as it's a much less expensive hobby than military vehicle collecting. Actually, Wifey made my mind up for me!

So that's my collection, er... "investment," Honey! Hope you guys like them! By the way, the sign hanging off the barrel of the 106 says, "Pray For And Support Our Troops" in case you can't make it out. You can see the size of the 106mm round (just over three feet long) standing on the deck of the Mule. That, too, is an inert practice round. And no, I'm not nuts. :lol:

forgot to add that the bendix on th Deere's starter went and I'm gonna have to have that rebuilt. Right now the Deere is sitting in my wife's parking space in the garage. Hope I get it fixed before the snow flies! When Mamma aint happy, NOBODY'S happy!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Finally some pics of my Deere, Cub, and "other"

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:08 am

Deere John... wrote:And no, I'm not nuts.

They say denial is the first sign.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:48 am

Nice looking kids you have there!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quite a squirel gun you have there too. I guess that you have to go for a head shot so as to not damage too much meat.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:10 am

Great pictures. Spend all the time you can with those kids. When mine were little I had a job that required a lot of over time, plus in the area where we moved the only way we could afford a house was to buy an old fixer-upper (real estate code word for 3 walls still standing) and redo it. I've always regretted not having much time to spend with them. 30 years ago I used to occasionally pass by a place that had several JD Ls for sale, but never could catch the owner at home. By the time I finally caught him home they were all sold. I've wanted one of those Mules ever since I saw the first write up about them in Popular Mechanics several years ago. There was one at the Steamarma (Mo. Red Power) this summer I took some pictures of.

That recoiless rifle should solve any Bigdog worries. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Deere John
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Deere John » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:53 am

Thanks for all the comments, guys! I get to take my overtime in pay or compensation time (time off). I NEVER take it in pay. I get a lot of ribbing at work, but I don't want to look back when I'm old and gray (if the good Lord lets me get old and gray) and regret not spending all the time I could with my family. Some say "quality time." I say QUANTITY time because they'll remember all of those small moments and I want there to be as many as possible!

The Mule is a lot fun. I hope to get it in a couple Memorial Day parades next year. Same goes for the tractors if I can get them done by next spring.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:03 am

JD:

Well, gonna ask and show me ignorance :roll: :lol: Course I know nothing about green things unless they are Military Green....

What year and model JD is that?

Interesting tractor.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:54 am

Rudi, it is a John Deere LA. DJ will have to tell us what year.
Last edited by Bigdog on Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Deere John
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Deere John » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:50 pm

The man I bought it from wasn't sure if it was a '46 or a '42??? The serial # plate is gone as most are on the L and LA series due to their location. I've seen a partial copy of original JD shipping logs where the factory wrote in the serial # of the starter and this has been used as a means to determining the year- as long as the starter wasn't swapped out at some point.

I better clam up about 'Ol Greene, considering the company I'm in!

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:37 pm

I had the opertunity to put several bumps on my behind on them there muels over there. With full pack , seven guy's they snorted like the wind and beat walking no matter how sore your butt was. They were unbelieveble. Great collection . "Jack"

Deere John
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Deere John » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:28 am

Hey, Jack. Were you in the Airborn or USMC? Those were the outfits that used them. Thanks for chiming in and thank you, too, for your service to our country. I'm greatful to say the least.

Return to “Farmall Cub”