This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Front Axle Stuck Help!!!!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CubManinVA
10+ Years
10+ Years

Front Axle Stuck Help!!!!!

Postby CubManinVA » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:25 pm

Trying to widen front end to make it 42"or 44" cant move the right but the left side will move. :evil: Used plenty of lubricant, tapped on tube with hammer, put pressure will tapping, someone before I bought tractor must have had same problem they had drilled small holes through axle tube so lubricate could be put between inner and outer tubes. :roll: Anyhow has anyone had this problem before and what would be the fix other than replacing axle and extension.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Front Axle

Postby Bill V in Md » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:27 pm

Cub Man,

Have you tried applying torque to the inner axle? To do this you will have to remove wheels and jack up the front end, or remove the front axle altogether. I had the same problem as you, and ultimately had to remove the front axle, clamp it in a vice, and put some torque on the inner axles to loosen them up. Some heat would also help to speed up the process. If you jack the front end of the tractor, be careful when applying torque. Make sure tractor is very secure, and will not roll forward or backward, or fall over when attempting this.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:28 pm

CMinVA:

First, let me say welcome to the Greatest Forum on the Net and to the Cub Family :!: :D

Second, might I suggest that you read New Members and Visitors, Please READ. The Cub FAQ's are filled with a lot of really good general knowledge and the Cub Info has some good trouble shooting tips. The Best of H.L. Chauvin puts a humourous yet very helpful tone to fixing your Cub. Also, the Cub Manual Server has lots of info to assist you as well.

I guess you don't waste much time - jumping in with both feet on what is probably the most time consuming job on a Cub. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The info above will be of some help, especially the Part Manuals so you know exactly what you are dealing with.

As for getting it free - well gonna take the 3 "P's" I am a thinkin. That means:

Penetrating Oil
Patience
Pressure

Soak it daily with a real good Penetrating Oil - which ever you prefer. I do recommend though that you try to get Loc-Tite's Solvo Rust Penetrating Oil. I have used just about everything. Gave up on WD-40 first, then tried the CaseIH brand - gave up on that, then tried the Gunk version - useless. Even tried Kroil -- moved it but didn't free it up. However, the Solvo-Rust did. I soaked the axle everytime I passed by it which was about 2 dozen times a day. Smacked it with a 3 lb mallet a couple times before I put more penetrating oil on it. Finally after the 4th or 5th day of this, the axle started moving and just kept on moving until it slid right out!

You may want to do a search thrugh the archives. George Willer has a setup pic that shows how to put even pressure on both sides of the axle at the knees to help pry it apart. As well there are other posts on what worked for some of our other members.

Just remember - Patience, Patience, and a lot more Patience.

Hope this helps a bit.

Again, Welcome to the Cub Family :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:47 pm

:idea: Heres a trick that might save you some labor. Loosen the clamp on the stuck side and with penetrating oil douse it good and then drive it around on a rough surface for a day/week whatever it takes and if you are lucky it will break loose from the constant jarring.
Then came Bronson

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:29 pm

Rudi wrote:As for getting it free - well gonna take the 3 "P's" I am a thinkin. That means:

Penetrating Oil
Patience
Pressure

You left out the other 2 P's. Pounding and Propane (although acetylene is better).

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Re: Front Axle Stuck Help!!!!!

Postby George Willer » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:01 pm

CubManinVA wrote:Trying to widen front end to make it 42"or 44" cant move the right but the left side will move. :evil: Used plenty of lubricant, tapped on tube with hammer, put pressure will tapping, someone before I bought tractor must have had same problem they had drilled small holes through axle tube so lubricate could be put between inner and outer tubes. :roll: Anyhow has anyone had this problem before and what would be the fix other than replacing axle and extension.

Most axles are stuck by now... to varying degrees. The difficulty will vary greatly, but the fact that one is loose is encouraging. A pair of hydraulic jacks can be used to put a lot of pressure STRAIGHT on the stuck side by pinning the other. The axle in the picture has at least 12 tons pressure and requires both jacks working together to move at all.

Don't worry that it is a lo-boy axle... the regular will set up the same.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:02 pm

In addition to Johnbron's suggestion, replace the pin with a slightly smaller one to give it a little more leeway, but do not drive it without any pin in the axle.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

CubManinVA
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CubManinVA » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
Seems I have to learn PATIENCE which I dont have much of.
Pentatrating oil, pounding, pressure now all to do is wait and spray
wait and spray :roll:

Well thats long enough, :twisted: NOW FOR THE ACETYLENE

I'll let you know if anything moves!!!!

CubManinVA
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Front Axle Stuck Help!!!!!

Postby CubManinVA » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:47 pm

George
Thanks for the picture.

I had an idea earlier to take the axle off the tractor where I could work on it easier.
But problems keep coming up. Now the pivot pin holding the axle on is stuck in the axle and will not drive out. Maybe acetylene on it too?
With the front end lifted and supported on jack stands, floating the axle side to side I noticed the pin is pivoting in the clamp instead of the axle even with the two bolts tightened.

Boy are we having fun!!!

[/b][/i][/u][/list][/quote][/code][/list]

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:36 pm

Sounds like you are having fun. The clamp bolts set in notches in the pin and I would think they would keep it from turning. You can somtimes loosen the clamps by driving a screwdriver or small chisel in the gap to spread it a little. don't try to drive it to deep, or the casting will break.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”