This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carb Value

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Carb Value

Postby Rudi » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:54 am

Guys:

What is a good IH 3/4 updraft worth?

I have seen prices tossed around usually in the $195US range. Is this accurate?

Thanks
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:29 pm

Rudi I was looking around different parts guys yesterday after the post about a Massey Harris carb and think I remember $175.00 or $125 with a core. Sorry that I don't remember which site but I found it with a search for internation harvester. It is no big deal to rebuild one and the Case kit contains every thing except the float. It even includes felt washers for along the shafts to prevent air leakage. Floats can be repaired with a decent sized soldering iron. Clean the area of interest to all bright and shiney. With small holes flux and then solder will do. For larger holes a piece of thin shim brass can first be tinned, the float tinned and then sweated together. Over the years I must have done a couple of dozen like that on lawn mowers, cars and trucks. My brother Dons fuel injected Corvett had a fuel leak and the Army would not move it to Germany when he was stationed there. I took the low pressure fuel sys apart. It was the same as a carb bowl with float and needle valve. Soldered the float and no more leak.
Do not use a torch fuel and flames lead to explosions
Bill[/b]
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:27 pm

Dealer has new floats
Young man for work, old man for advice

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:37 pm

I hear you Jim but I usually need one 3 o clock sunday afternoon, or 9:30 AM Fourth of July.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:55 pm

Kguys:

Guess I worded this post entirely wrong.

I don't need a carb, at least not yet. Got Jethro's carb for Granny. What I want to know is what would it cost me if I was to buy a 3/4" updraft carb.

I heard $190.00US is an amount rumoured to be fair. Is this correct?
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:52 pm

Ask Tom at TM Tractor. I bet he has one for a customer who under stands it most likely would need a George Willer or Lurker Carl job on it.
Young man for work, old man for advice

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:10 pm

Rudi, as I assume you know, new IH carbs are no longer available, but new Zenith carbs sell on Ebay from $145 to $195 USD. Good used IH carbs are getting harder and harder to find.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:29 pm

Just wondering, is there much difference between the original IH carb and the new Zeniths, mainly performance?

Not that I need one right now. For the time being I have a real good one on "Clerance" (fingers crossed) and another one that has seen it's better days, for a back up.

J. Niekamp

nosih
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby nosih » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:33 pm

I still have one NOS IH cub carb left....

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:47 pm

John N wrote:Just wondering, is there much difference between the original IH carb and the new Zeniths, mainly performance?
J. Niekamp
I've never switched from one to another on the same tractor, but have driven different cubs with each on them, and can't tell any difference in performance. The Zenith does have a slightly larger throat and air intake. It requires a different or a modified air hose, and I've seen reports of sometimes needing 2 carb to manifold gaskets to get sufficient throttle plate clearance, but don't have that problem with mine..
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:42 pm

Thanks John.

NOSIH: What is that NOS carb worth?

I know that they are getting rare even used in poor shape and in desperate need of a rebuild ala Lurker Carl.

So far we have determined that the Zenith, which I really don't want if I can get away with it, is in the 140 to 190 dollar bracket.

Am I assuming correctly that the IH updraft is going to cost more?

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:30 pm

Rudi wrote:Am I assuming correctly that the IH updraft is going to cost more?

Ah heck Rudi, can't take it with you anyhow right? I know [PRICE] X's [?] (in your case) [three] = BIG BUCKS... LOL! It's the cost of having fun and preserving part of the past, all at the same time. What else do we have to spend our money on or for? Save it for the kids to fight over, when we are gone?

In reality now, I have been watching these things sell usually on eBay for $175 to $200 US.

I have been wanting to know about how much my old IH might be worth on the open market. See if it's worth keeping or not. Even though, it could be rebuilt, that faces WERE actually more flat than the one on "Clearance" However, I was lucky and took my time in straightening the one off my tractor back out flat again.

The extra one I have came off a whole engine, but it was sitting outside uncovered for many many years from an old IH stationary type engine. I am keeping the engine just for for the crank and whatever else might be saved. The block and head has met it's faith with water left in it from years back.

Hey if your EVER in a real bind and need one, It may be worth the money for a rebuild kit. Just send me a private message or IM on Yahoo. We're only 1800 miles away, be a nice little road trip, lol!

J. Niekamp
Last edited by John Niekamp on Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:27 pm

Rudi; I just bought a NOS carb for $200.00
Jim Turner

Return to “Farmall Cub”