This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

jacking tractor safely???

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
adamsgap
10+ Years
10+ Years

jacking tractor safely???

Postby adamsgap » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:20 am

Hello fine friends hope everyone is having a DANDY Day. I was wanting to get some ideas about how to properly jack up my tractor (CUB) and to stabilize it from falling. I am servicing my pinion seal in the final drive area .also will be doing some inspections. Any info or ideas will be welcomed. Pictures if you have any. Thanks for a great forum. 8)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:35 am

Use wood cribbing, not concrete blocks. There are bosses on the bottom of the axle shaft housing and differential case. Drive some wooden wedges between the front axle and the radiator bottom casting - this isn't absolutely necessary if you're not splitting a tractor but it will stiffen it up and that can't hurt.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:11 pm

Hi Everyone,
Is there also a safe way to jack up the cub to easily remove a belly mower? I want to take off the mower next month to go over it but removing it looks like its going to be a real b!
John

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:46 am

My momma never told me that life was going to be easy.
Since I built a nice 28 by 28 garage with a cement floor things slide around easier and and it is a lot less uncomfortable taking things apart kneeling or laying on my belly.
But my daddy told me life is a B! and then you die. He is 95 now, so I guess he voted for the female dog part of the story.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:26 am

JBall8019 wrote:Hi Everyone,
Is there also a safe way to jack up the cub to easily remove a belly mower? I want to take off the mower next month to go over it but removing it looks like its going to be a real b!
John

I guess it depends on which mower you have. The 42" will usually slide in and out with a little jockeying and turning the front wheels. It ain't fun, but no jacking is necessary.
I don't know about the 5 footers. Most guys I've heard either drive over them to install / remove them or hoist the front of the tractor to get the job done.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Buggyscott
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Buggyscott » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:45 am

Hey Ozark, come on up to Shelby County next Saturday and you can see a work in progress. Don't know if it is being done right but it is being done and you can see a work in progress. At the worst I can serve as a perfectly good bad example. Bring a torque wrench with you if you come.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:19 am

JB, if you have a concrete floor you can get some of the little platforms with rollers that can be set under the corners of furniture to move it and just let the moewer down on them and slide it out. If on grass or gravel, making a little ramp that you can put in place and then just drive over the mower works good.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:34 am

I thought you guys were pulling my leg about driving over the deck, but I understand why the edges of the my deck are bent now!! I do have a concrete floor in my barn and I will try using either the ramps or the engine hoist to get the 5' mower out. Thanks guys
John

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:46 pm

John, I've seen people make ramps that would just barely fit between the wheels with a board that just barely touched the top of the mower to carry the weight of the front of the tractor.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”