This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

NOS Cub block assemblies have arrived!!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
nosih
10+ Years
10+ Years

NOS Cub block assemblies have arrived!!!

Postby nosih » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:43 pm

The NOS Cub block assemblies with pistons, pins, & rings have arrived. Check the for sale/ wanted forum for more info

Last edited by nosih on Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

S.H.A.F.T.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub blocks

Postby S.H.A.F.T. » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:23 pm

C'mon and open one of those crates up and get us some pics! Are they still covered in cosmoline?

S.H.A.F.T.
"Son, you can do it right, or you can do it again."

nosih
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby nosih » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:38 pm

they are now posted above & on the for sale / wanted page

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:16 pm

It may have been posted and I missed it... what application were these blocks intended for? They are different from any Cub tractor or power unit engine I've seen, although they may bolt up. Were they marine? (my guess).
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:33 pm

Mr. GW wrote:
It may have been posted and I missed it... what application were these blocks intended for? They are different from any Cub tractor or power unit engine I've seen, although they may bolt up. Were they marine? (my guess).

That doesn't look too much like any of mine. Looks like it would take a funny manifold to work. 8)

nosih
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby nosih » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:05 pm

If you would look in a 19XPE the block assembly number 353710R96 indexes to the Cub Tractor & U1 power unit. Also look at the following parts page taken from the cub manual service pages: http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Parts%20Manuals/TC-37D%20Revision%201/Engine/Page%2003.jpg
That parts manual states that this block assembly will work for 251341R71. If you look in any supersedence parts list, the 251341R71 block assembly and the 353710R98 block assembly sub to part number 388348R92. if you would be more specific about what you see that differs, as we have compared this in every respect to the block on our 47, and the only difference that we see other than the part number is the plug just ahead of the oil filter.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:16 pm

I haven't looked very carefully, so I don't know what all may be different. I did notice the block is cast differently in the area where the oil filter drain goes behind the starter. Like the holes in Johnnie Cash's transmission, the groove for the drain pipe is gone. That's what made me think it may be for a marine application. It definitely is not a direct replacement for either the power unit or tractor engine, although it will probably work.

If I were selling these engines, I would want the buyers to be aware of the differences.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

nosih
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby nosih » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:39 am

George,

I completely disagree with you on these points:

1. Upon visual comparison and measurements of all mounting holes and features these blocks are identical in all respects except for the addition of the drain plug directly ahead of the oil filter assy to the original block on our 1947 cub, and the changing of the part number of the block from 251341R4 to 355741R4.

2. The oil drain tube is shown uninstalled in the photographs, and a threaded hole leads out the oil filter base, and the block itself is cast identical to all other cub blocks to accept this drain. This casting indentation is shown clearly in the first set of photos between the starter mounting hole and the "XS" painted on the block.

3. I have shown in the photographs that the head set gaskets match perfectly with this block, thus showing your concern that the manifold area was not like any other you have seen, is unfounded.

4. If this block was not intended for direct cub application, it would not have been included in the cub parts catalog TC37D Revision 1, and the 19XP master parts indecies of International Harvester Parts Applications.

I have no doubts that this block was manfucatured for general cub applications. Additional pictures are posted below. As far as your statement regarding pointing out the differences in the blocks, I believe that is exactally what I have done with regard to the photograps and my direct references in this discussion.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:32 pm

How many did you get in the lot :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

IH GIRL
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby IH GIRL » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:54 pm

I just want to through out, had a customer from CA last month that has a C 60 cub motor in a sailbot, said lots of people out there do. Any way he needed a rebuilt dist. Sent him one but would not work on the cub motor he has, beat all we could think of, when he finally emailed a picture of the dist it was very diffferent but all other part numbers off of diffenent engine parts seem to interchange. But the dist did not on his. :cry: . Just for what it is worth. Nice find :D
Jamie
JP Tractor Salvage

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:00 pm

Palmer Marine did marine conversions of several IH engines, including the Cub engine. Different parts included the manifold and virtually all the electrical parts. I have forgotten what else was different.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:01 pm

Of course you would have a different manifold. On a boat you would have water cooled exhaust so that you did not set the transon on fire at the thru hull fitting. Perhaps they used a dist with dual points for reliability. They wpuld probably be used as an auxilary engine because of the low speed. The fastest ^60 cub in I know is in power units where the ran at 2700 RPM max. Tractors were 1600 or in the newr onew 1800.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:57 pm

NOSIH,
The blocks must not be Cub because above the 1 3 4 2 on the side of the block in your pictures it reads FIRING ORDER. On my CUBS it reads ALUMAGE. :-)

Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

nosih
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby nosih » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:17 pm

non, non, non... Monsieur, vous pouvez être l'expert quand certaines personnes sont dans la chambre, mais pas dans ce cas !!!!! :D :D

I used an online translator, so I hope it is as correct as possible.

NOSIH

nosih
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby nosih » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:22 pm

Hey Mike... I think you should take the NOS block I am delivering to you at the IH auction and put it into one of the French cubs to give it a bit of Americana........................................... :D :D

Return to “Farmall Cub”