This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Double Transplant/Rebuild

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buggyscott
10+ Years
10+ Years

Double Transplant/Rebuild

Postby Buggyscott » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:47 am

My Missey will be undergoing a double transplant/rebuild on Saturday. Will be replacing one final drive castings and putting new seals and gaskets in both. Also will be putting in new brake bands while we got things apart. Have a good assortment of hand tools, a impact wrench and sockets, buckets and kerosene to wash stuff off with, rags, jacks, cribbing etc. Also got a willing helper who in my judgement is a pretty good mechanic, at least he has shown he knows more than me. Got the pages copied out of the parts and repair manuals. History has shown that I always overlook something. Any help in as to what. Also helper says if we get a early start we should be done in about 4 hours and I will have to buy his lunch, any truth to this?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Harold R » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:39 am

I guess with airtools the time is about right, and no "snake-eyes" jump up.
It is true about lunch. :lol: :lol: Or maybe a frosty quaff or two. :lol: :lol:

A lesson learned. If you're using jacks to support the tractor, be very careful. When you remove a final drive, especially the right one(long shaft), there's a pretty good weight shift. A hoist helps tremendously. :wink:

Ron
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ron » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:18 pm

You will probably need a hydraulic press to press the bearings on and off.

Ron
1951 Farmall Cub

Buggyscott
10+ Years
10+ Years

Double Transplant

Postby Buggyscott » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:37 am

Got into it yesterday. Found the left differential to be full of acorns and water, also the brake drum was missing key and set screw, it just freewheeled. The right differential is in better shape and the brake drum here is worn paper thin. Ron you were right, I got to find a press to get the bearings off. Big Dog, your right on about the wedges, they help. Need to get a couple of new bearings, a new brake drum and a bunch of new bolts. One tire was just normal, the other, left one was found to be full of liquid and has a wheel weight, must have been the furrow wheel. Need new tires anyhow so we can take care of that, anyone need a pretty good used tire. Surprised how simple it all is once you start breaking it down, washed everything in Kerosene and put it all in seperate piles and plastic bags.

Helper is a 15 year old that I have been working for the last several years around the farm, big kid, hard worker and is one of those who's daddy raised right, can do just about anything, from breaking a colt to taking a cub apart. We follow the young man for work, old man for advise slogan found on this board. Also the old man hops in the truck and goes after parts and tools that are suddenly needed. :D

Sure, this is a little more than I thought it would be but once it is done I will be way ahead, at least I will have brakes again. Thanks again to everyone on the board for their help, would and could not have done this if it wasn't for you guys.

Ron
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ron » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:02 am

Hi,
I'm glad to hear you are on your way to getting it done.
It will be worth it in the end.

What part of Shelby co. do you live in??
I went to high school at Chelsea and lived in Westover with my grandparents.
It was with my grandfather that I learned to drive and plow with his 49 model Cub.

Ron
1951 Farmall Cub

Buggyscott
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Buggyscott » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:11 am

Ron, I live down in Four Mile, between Columbiana and Wilsonville, just south of Chelsea. If you ever get back this way, let me know, My Missey is a '49.

Alabamacub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Alabamacub » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:36 pm

I am glad to hear we have some representation down here in Shelby County. I live outside of westover across from the old mud track next to Ray cemetary.
Keep us updated on your project.

Robert
Alabamacub

Return to “Farmall Cub”