This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

steel fuel line

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

steel fuel line

Postby Kirk » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:54 pm

TO all,

I purchased a 20" steel brake line, cut off the flared ends, bent the line to fit from bowl to carb....and thought I had the correct fittings to fit the carb and bowl. As it turns out, I need double male gas fittings....correct? I haven't been able to find them anywhere. :cry: Is there a particular place and part number yall order them from?

Thanks
Kirk

CUBS:
'49

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:10 pm

Kirk,

If... (and this is a very big if) your fuel strainer and carburetor threads are original, the nuts that come on a 5/16 brake line (1/2 x 20 SAE), are correct and will work by simply adding the compression ferrules. You should need no other fittings.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:28 am

George,

I thought after cutting off the flares you replaced the brakeline fittings with regular comp fittings and ferrels. I didn't realize you could use the fittings that come with the brakeline along with a ferrel.

Anyway, after your instuction I went out to the shop and put the line on with the original fittings along with the ferrels. It worked perfectly, of course :oops: :oops: .....and looks darn good to boot. :P

I was just trying to make it more difficult than needed. :roll:

Thanks for coming to the rescue!!
Kirk

CUBS:

'49

Slappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Slappy » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:33 am

Hi Kirk,

I just finished the same project, but I put on a new fuel bowl assembly as well. I cut the ends off the line and used compression fittings as George suggests - works good no leaks. The new fuel bowl, however, came with a double flare fitting that would have fit the brake line hardware just fine. If you can use it, you are welcome to it. It would save you cutting off the fuel bowl end if you've already bent the line to the right shape. Let me know and I'll drop the fitting off. As for the other end, Do It Best (formally Ace) Hardware in Milton has every brass fitting you can imagine.

Did you get your Cub to start yet? I remember that you had electrical issues to resolve. Ame and I are still looking to have y'all over soon. This weekend we are headed to Monroe, LA to pick up a new horse trailer; Ame's old tralier had two trees drop on it during Hurricane Ivan.

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:00 am

Hi Slappy,

You may have just read my response to George.....I was making the installment too hard, not realizing I could use ferrels with the exsisting fittings on the brakeline. After doing so, it all works perfectly.

And I have gotten the cub up and running good. It desparatly needs a new throw-out bearing and still more tranny work. But I can at least drive her now.

Sorry to hear about the horse trailer. Yall have a safe journey and will see you when you get back.
Kirk

CUBS:

'49

Return to “Farmall Cub”