This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering Bushing Solution? or not?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jsmit
10+ Years
10+ Years

Steering Bushing Solution? or not?

Postby jsmit » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:50 am

Looking for a review of my plan to fix my worn out steering bushing, you know the piece that is at the end of the steering arm...that the steering wheel shaft passes through on the way to the steering wheel...

Here's what Im gonna try, unless directed otherwise:

Mine is worn out well beyond the original diameter (paper thin on bottom). To fix, I am going to set it flat on a piece of saran wrap covered wood and clamp it tight, with the one side of the hole against the wrap and wood and one side exposed. Then I am going to fill the hole with epoxy/metal (ie JB Weld or other 3M style product), let it set, remove clamp and wood, sand to smooth, drill new steering wheel hole, tap a hole for a new zerk in the top and reinstall. Whaddya think.... I can't find any good ones to replace it so, I figured this would be a good rebuild solution. :idea:
Cub is running again! Just troubleshooting now!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:19 am

:idea: Heres a good one for $25.00. http://www.tmtractor.com/st/458.htm
Then came Bronson

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:43 am

If you have a little time and equipment, it's possible to make a steel one, as I did for one of my projects...

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:33 am

George. The original one in your picture is really really worn. Did the steering shaft have a lot of wear at that point also?. Such as maybe a groove.
Then came Bronson

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:45 pm

johnbron wrote:George. The original one in your picture is really really worn. Did the steering shaft have a lot of wear at that point also?. Such as maybe a groove.

Bronson,

No, and that was a surprise. Ordinarily, the harder of the two materials in contact will wear the most. The accepted reason: abrasive foreign material tends to imbed in the softer material and work like a lap on the harder material.

I've seen construction dust imbed in the bronze bushings on ventilator fan shafts and actually cut shafts in two! :cry: :cry: :cry:
George Willer

(CUB HUT)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47401

Postby (CUB HUT) » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:35 pm

jsmit -------- Fixed my bushing the way you are going to --but cut A peace of wood dowel to put in the hole. Saved a lot of J B weld. Worked well,was easy to drill out.
DAVE
THE OLDER I GET ---THE BETTER I WAS

If you can read this... thank a teacher... if you are reading it in English....THANK A VET !!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:33 pm

Some people think that greasing is onlyto lubricate. If sufficient is used it will flush dirt out. Tractors run in dusty, dirty conditions so that extra grease to flush out the dirt helps. As does doing it often enough. grease and oil copst but they are cheaper than down time and repairs.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:08 pm

George , My guess is the bushing You are using as a illustration came off a cub that had been rolled over and the arm was never straighted . To have that much wear . I bet it was hard to turn the wheel. Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:16 pm

Mine does not have a zerk grease-fitting. It just has the small hole for oil drops. While mine is off the Cub now clean & painted I was thinking of painting the bore with Slip-Plate and just leaving it dry.
Then came Bronson

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:36 pm

steveb05 wrote:George , My guess is the bushing You are using as a illustration came off a cub that had been rolled over and the arm was never straighted . To have that much wear . I bet it was hard to turn the wheel. Steve

Steve,

No, the arm was straight. Unlike the earlier cast iron ones, the later die cast ones didn't hold up very well.

I wouldn't add the zerk as has been suggested. My Fords have a zerk there and Murphy's law says that whenever you drive one, you'll get grease on your hands and clothes.
George Willer

jsmit
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jsmit » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:17 pm

Thanks to all who replied. Im not sure which way I'll go, but TM Tractor Parts also has a link for newly fab'd version similar to George's shown in the picture. Pretty cheap too, I suppose, when compared to the cost of my time and alot of epoxy filler. Its not a show piece (yet) so Im not concerned with the "non-factory" aspect.
Thanks as always, I'll post some pix soon. 8)
Cub is running again! Just troubleshooting now!

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:38 pm

Like George, I made one for a customer a couple years ago, but he insisted on a replaceable bushing, so I made it just a little tad bit larger than original and bored it out to accept a "standard" sized "oil-lite" bronze bushing. I guess he was figuring on plowing many acres.

Johnbron,

This fella's looked just like the worn out one in George's picture. I naturally thought the same thing, a bent shaft. It had very little wear on the shaft itself and was straight as an arrow. Sure must have been a lot of driving over the years.

John Niekamp

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:25 am

John N wrote:

Johnbron,

This fella's looked just like the worn out one in George's picture. I naturally thought the same thing, a bent shaft. It had very little wear on the shaft itself and was straight as an arrow. Sure must have been a lot of driving over the years.

John Niekamp

The worn out one George is showing is worn on the bottom so that would mean a lot of downward pressure on it which means long straight discing runs with a heavy body weight napping on the steering wheel. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Then came Bronson

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:57 am

johnbron wrote:The worn out one George is showing is worn on the bottom so that would mean a lot of downward pressure on it which means long straight discing runs with a heavy body weight napping on the steering wheel. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JB - That sounds like the voice of experience! :) :)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”