This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fuel line/hood removal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mmann
10+ Years
10+ Years

Fuel line/hood removal

Postby mmann » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:14 am

My new, well used, '51 is coming along great thanks to this site and the excellent people who help. I need to remove the Hood and tighten the belts. Got the screws out and everything lose. But I need to disconnect the fuel line next. What should the fuel line be made of? Mine is very thin copper tube with several loops of what seems to be excessive line.
Is this original? If not what should it be? I want to be a purist about my Cub, it is a lot of fun.
There is no substitue for good marksmanship.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:33 am

Copper fuel line is a no-no. It will become brittle over time. Get some 5/16" steel brake line and cut the flares off the ends. There are several threads dealing with this including some pictures. Just do a search for fuel line in the search feature at the top of the page.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Yo's Dad
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Yo's Dad » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:50 am

BD, my favorite son:

Fuel line. Possibly my 51 does not have the standard fittings at the fuel bowl and the carb, but when I replaced my fuel line, I also used about an 18 inch long piece of steel brake line (NAPA) that had the flares on the end, but the fittings on my bowl and carb were NPTM to female flare, so I didn't need to cut off the flares, they fit just perfectly. Has someone replaced my fittings? What was stock?

I received my hat this weekend, very nice, thanks to all the moderators for signing it. Only wish I could have been there, maybe next year.
YD, Grover and Ole Malley
‘Keepers of the Flame’ Image

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:57 am

Hi Pop! Fuel lines are usually compression fittings as they seal easier. Here is a picture of Grandpa's:

Glad you like the hat!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

mmann
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mmann » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:25 am

My fuel line looks to be 1/8" O.D. copper and the fuel shutoff is down by the carb. I don't know if the bowl is original, why would PO have two valves in line?!? I will check it out when I am up there Weds. PM.
I know where there are couple of other Cubs I can Check out to see how they are fitted.
There is no substitue for good marksmanship.

Yo's Dad
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Yo's Dad » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:03 pm

BD:

Is that Scruffy? Mayhaps, the PO changed the fittings, I'll have to check.

Mmann: Most everyone has expereinced a slow drip from the carb, so maybe your PO added a second fuel shut off valve to help stop the drip.
YD, Grover and Ole Malley

‘Keepers of the Flame’ Image

Return to “Farmall Cub”