This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Distributor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mark Gough
10+ Years
10+ Years

Distributor

Postby Mark Gough » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:17 pm

Does anyone have a distributor number for a 1951 Cub? I'm trying to see if I can get an electronic ignition for mine, and there is no number.
Thanks,
Mark

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:37 pm

The part number for the distributor assembly is 353893R91.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Mark Gough
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mark Gough » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:18 am

Thanks for the reply. If anyone else is interested in the electronic ignition conversion kit, it is made by Pertronix, P/N 1442P6. The P6 stands for Positive ground, 6 volt. I have replaced several point ignitions with these kits (forklifts where I worked, and my boat) and have had great results, and I can't remember any of them failing.
This kit is listed for my '51 Cub, but should fit all Cubs with a distributor and 6 volt positive ground. They also make kits to fit almost anything with points.
I've still got a long way to go on learning about my Cub, but with everyone's help, I'm getting there.
Thanks again,
Mark :D

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:38 am

Mark, I can see where the kits would be good on a fork lift where it runs a lot of hours ans usually hard to work on, but I wonder about the economics on a cub. All the kits I've seen ran $100 dollars or more, and my working cub has only needed the points changed once in the 17 years I've owned it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:18 pm

John you said "my working cub has only needed the points changed once in the 17 years I've owned it."

How often have you changed plugs, rotor, distributor cap :?: These small 59 cu.in. engines seem to be able to go a long time without needing tune up.

Thanks

Mike :D

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:40 pm

I replace the plugs every 2 or 3 years, when they start missing or when it gets hard to start, the cap when it starts to show signs of aging (tends to accumulate water when the finish gets rough). It's a converted mag, and since the rotors cost $20 + I tend to change them only if they fail, which has only happened once. That time was when I bought a cap from Napa and it broke the rotor when I started it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:55 pm

Before i got the cub I used to use a neighbors C with a woods belly. Wife stopped me for lunch one day,. when i went back with a fully belly. No start. The rivet holding the tip to the rotor had corroded so the tip fell off. I replaced everything points, condenser, rotor, cap, wires and plugs. How else do you say thank you for many years of use?
About 15 years latter the same thing rotor failure happened to the neighbor.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”