This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rockford Clutch

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Rockford Clutch

Postby KYMike » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:37 am

Hello, name is Mike in Southcentral Kentucky. Just got a 1953 FCub and am enjoying the heck out of it. This is my first tractor and from what I've been reading here looks like it will serve us well as an all around machine for the few acres we have. I bought it to help clear the undergrowth of a wooded area next the house and to grade some dirt roads around the goat pens and chicken coops we have out back.Other than a seat (and my need for a blade) this guy looks pretty nice. This tractor was kept by the family of the original owner and appears to have been well cared for. I'm looking for many pleasurable hours with it and to learn more about it from the good folks on this forum.

I found the year of manufacture okay by the serial number and it also has the "J" suffex designating a Rockford clutch. At the risk of sounding too green, what's a Rockford clutch?

Mike
'53 Cub - You can make a small fortune in farming, provided you start with a large one.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:51 am

Mike, welcome aboard! I think you'll like it here. Check out some of the links for a lot of information about the cub. To answer your question, cubs were manufactured with clutches supplied by 2 different manufacturers. Rockford and Auburn. The J designation simply means that your clutch was made by Rockford. The designation was added to the serial number so service personnel could tell without looking the manufacturer of the clutch so that if clutch work was being done, the correct parts could be obtained before splitting the tractor to do the work. There was no designation for the Auburn clutch.

Whereabouts in south central KY?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:15 am

Mike, welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy this site and your "new" cub.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:18 am

Hi BigDog. We're about 25 miles east of Bowling Green in Austin. Nice to meet ya!
'53 Cub - You can make a small fortune in farming, provided you start with a large one.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:07 am

KYMike My wife's family is just about 70 miles north of you in Elizabethtown. In fact, she has a brother in Munfordville.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:14 am

E-Town is a nice area. Holler hello for us from Dry Fork!

Mike

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:16 am

As a follow-on, if you replaced both the clutch and the pressure plate, would it really matter which kind you get? Is the flywheel different or something?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:57 am

Would make no difference. The Rockford is the most common one I've seen, and if you order one from NAPA, etc. I think that is all you will get.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”