This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A Close Call and New Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

A Close Call and New Cub

Postby Bigschuss » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:50 am

I just bought my second Cub this weekend and had a close call when loading into the rented U-haul trailer. The trailer did not have the fold down ramps, so I had to buy a pair of 2,000 lb. ramps from Sears. I figured that would be fine for a 1,600 lb Cub. The rear end of the trailer was only a foot off the ground. I set the ramps in place, secured them tightly, and then drove the Cub onto the trailer. Half-way up the tractor seemed to shift on me, and I felt the left tire sink slightly, but I just kept driving onto the trailer. When I turned the machine off my buddies told me that the left ramp crushed like a tin can when I drove onto it. I was able to get it loaded, but if the trailer height had been any higher, or if I was loading something into a pick-up, the results could have been very bad. On the way home we were discussing the ramp collapse and we only then realized that we did not take into account the fact that the Cub's weight is shifted to the left and perhaps the collapse was due to this. I am beginner, but I still feel embarassed about making such an error.
Anyway, the Cub is home safely. It's a 1958 straight from the original owner with a Fast Hitch plow, disk, Mott flail mower, and a grader blade.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:14 am

I suspect that the ramps were designed to load onto the rear end of a pickup truck, which is much higher. The steeper angle of the ramps increases their load-carrying capacity tremendously. They were nearly flat horizontal running up to the UHaul, in a much weaker position.

Also, that 1600lb weight only counts the tractor. If the tires are loaded, and/or wheel weights are added, plus the driver, you can go over 2000lbs very easily. A set of rear wheel weights is 300lb, and a 200lb driver makes 2100lb.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:33 am

Congrats on the aquistition of your second Cub :!: :D Amazing how addictive Cubs can become isn't it :?: :lol:

You certainly were lucky. Seems we learn by making mistakes which hopefully are not injurious. I too have learned the same way and now use much safer means to load my Cubs onto a trailer. Don't be embarrassed about it. Pass along your experience to other tractor owners in your area.

I know how easy it is to flip a tractor. I had my ride-on flip over on top of me a few years ago when loading it up onto the trailer. Wow! put the Fear of the Lord into you real quick. I now make it a policy that I never load a tractor without an extra pair of eyes to watch what is going on.

There are threads containing other examples of how fast an accident can happen. These examples certainly remind one that safety is a very real concern and should always be considered first when operating a tractor.

Just glad that you were able to get her on and home safely.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:57 pm

As a teenager, I was working for the family power equipment business picking up tractors, mowers, doing repairs, etc. We had a new 1972 3/4 ton International pickup with a homemade diamond plate body that was lower and wider than a regular pickup body. still, it was 24" off the ground, and had the typical 4 speed stick trans. I was backing a Cub Cadet size tractor off and the action of letting out the clutch on the tractor in reverse caused the truck to rock forward enough to drop both planks off the truck. The net result was I backed off the pickup, straight down, landed on my back with my feet still on the clutch/running board, and managed to use my feet to guide the tractor off one side.
bent the steering wheel on the tractor and a little other minor damage. I was lucky i didn't bang my head....but it did knock some sense into a dumb teenager :oops: :oops: :!: :!:

backing onto the trailer at an idle is a better policy. besides, let's you know just how good your governor works :!:
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:31 pm

I know what you mean. I had a plank collaps on me. I was using the bucket to lift off a back hoe attachment and used planks to get a little higher. one collapsed. Ever since I have put cribbing to brace all planks or other wise that I use.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:05 pm

artc wrote:The net result was I backed off the pickup, straight down, landed on my back with my feet still on the clutch/running board, and managed to use my feet to guide the tractor off one side.
Had a similiar happening about 25 years ago with a 15hp Homelite, except only one ramp board came off. At that time I weighed aobut 220, and could lift about 350. It and I went backward and to the side, and then stood up backward. I landed with my back on the ground, still on the seat with my feet on the pedals. I just kept on turning and as it cleared the truck I pushed it away from me and it landed first on the right wheel, then on all 4. The only problem was getting the crease out of the seat cushion.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”