This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Transmission

Postby Bill V in Md » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:15 pm

As you can see from the photo below, my throwout bearing is all "chewed-up" (technical term). I assume this was caused by excessive contact with splines on the transmission shaft. After removing the bearing, I observed that the transmission shaft appears to be somewhat bowed. While rotating the shaft, I measure side-to-side laterial displacement of 0.073". The up-and-down lateral displacement is 0.146". With this much movement, I'm surprised that it was running with no major problem before disassembly.

Anyone had this kind of problem with their transmission? I'm wondering whether a machine shop can correct it? Thanks........Bill V
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:36 pm

Bill,

Yes, a machine shop can straighten it... if it is really bowed. Maybe you could even do it yourself. It could be bowed if the tractor was split carelessly some time. Just like the axles, the machined surfaces should run true with each other, but the non-machined surfaces may have never run true.

Before they or you can do anything it will, of course, have to be removed from the transmission. With the shaft mounted between centers the surface for the front bearing should be indicated... while ignoring the rough non-machined areas.

Lacking facilities to mount it between centers, it could be done with V blocks and an indicator.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:09 pm

From the description it is lateral and vertical play of the shaft with the tractor split is the way i read it. If the shaft is not bent. the pilot bearing which can be seen on page 23 of the manual in Rudies manual is the cause. The pilot bearing is pressed in to the end of the crankshaft. It keeps the shaft straight and lined up so that it does not wondersideways or up and down.
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... e%2023.jpg

Hit your right mouse button and hit fit to page. You will have to scroll a bit but it will be large enought that you can read it.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Transmission

Postby Bill V in Md » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:10 pm

Thanks, George. I really had not planned on this little surprise, but I shoulda known something was up with the condition of the T/O bearing. Guess I was in denial. Seems like everything turns into something more than I planned. OK, I'm done done whining - taking off the diapers and gettin back to work..........Bill V.
Bill VanHooser
Circle of Safety

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:20 pm

I read back through and now see the word bowed. The throwout has some shaft clearance and a well fitting pilot may keep the throw out from chewing up. Of course straightning or replacing may well be best. You may well have a damaged pilot too.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Transmission

Postby Bill V in Md » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:26 am

Thanks, Bill for picking up on that. I will add that to my list of things to check......Bill V
Bill VanHooser
Circle of Safety

garyhb212
10+ Years
10+ Years

throw out berring

Postby garyhb212 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:18 pm

what did it sound like before you took it apart
my loboy growls when i have the clutch disengaged until
it warms up,about 2,3 min. grease hasnt helped.
i hope i don't have anything that ugly!!

GARY
1950cub with plow ,cultvator,blade,sickle mower
1963 cub loboy with mower deck.
it takes 5 hr to plow my sweat corn patch

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:47 pm

bill, it's hard to tell for sure from the angle of the picture, but it appears that the graphite block is worn down to nearly flush with the metal. If it's really worn that far flaking off at the center would not be unusual. To tell if the shaft is causing it look at the hole from the rear. Is the damage all they way through? Also if the dhaft is hitting it you should be able to see the worn/clean spot on the shaft.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”