This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

smv mounting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mymariah
10+ Years
10+ Years

smv mounting

Postby mymariah » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:53 am

I live in IA, and am trying to figure out if there are rules as to where the smv sign has to be mounted. Assuming there are not, where do you guys mount yours? I would also like to put a mirror on the cub. I saw a really neat "setup" where the guy took a square plate and mounted it to the two bolts near the hydralic lift on the left side. To that, he welded square tubing so that it would go out(to the left more) about 4 inches, then straight up to about 4.5 feet. That is where he put the mirror. I'm thinking of mounting my smv sign to that bar. If I put it on the back (assuming I can find a place) - it will be in the way of getting on/off the tractor. Also, by putting it higher, maybe people will see it better (not that I drive at night anyway). Maybe later this week I can get some pics of my idea on picturetrail.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:07 am

Check your state laws regarding the placement SMV signs. You should be able to access them online. There are probably no major differences from state to state but you'll want to make sure you comply with Iowa laws.
As far as the rear-view mirror goes, I would think a long shafted truck style mirror mounted to the steering wheel shaft support would work well.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:01 pm

Here's one mirror that works well. It's on the tricycle, but would work as well on any tractor. It's rigid enough that it doesn't vibrate.

The SMV sign is mounted to a tube that is also the mounting for an umbrella.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Coop

Postby allenlook » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:15 pm

Your Cooperative Extension (usually a part of your state university system) will have that information for you.

Typical mounting height is between 2 and 6 feet, plainly visible from the rear only, on vehicles not capable of exceeding something like 25mph.

When being hauled, the sign has to be covered.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

mymariah
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mymariah » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:43 am

Here is what I come up with last night. Does absolutely nothing for my smv sign, but works as a mirror mount http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL776/263 ... 145338.jpg

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:35 am

That looks great!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”