Interesting

Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:08 pm

I pressure washed and did some degreasing on my #3 cub today. It sure looks better. I knew it would need a tune up and might not want to start after getting wet. It did not want to start, so I started drying off the magneto. I found the plug wires were real bad. They must be original, they are made of rubber covered with cloth braid. There are many bare copper wire spots. I took them out of service and installed a used set I had just to get it running. Another interesting thing, the wire ends in the distributer cap are shaped like a bullet and the rubber boots have the IH logo on them and the letter W. I will have to give it a good tune up.

Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:23 am

Not knowing any better - I ran carbon core wires on my Cub for about 10 years - It always started and ran well - and the wires I used were made by Wells for some 4 cylinder Dodge - they fit perfect and were cheep.

I read a couple of post on "Tractor" wires (Copper wire core) and decided to get a set (About $8.00) and see if there was any difference.

There is a big difference - more power and runs smother - well worth the money and time to make-up and install.

just my $.02 worth on wires