This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Replacing right rear drive axle seals?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Douglas C. Box
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66208

Replacing right rear drive axle seals?

Postby Douglas C. Box » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:25 pm

I have a 1949 cub and want to fix a leaking rear axle seal on the right side of the tractor. Before I attempt taking things apart, where can I find a nice exploded view of that right side final drive assy. It is leaking pretty bad and running down the tire to the ground when parked. I would really like to get it fixed. I am having trouble finding such pics in the various manuals I have seen. On these cold winter evenings I would really enjoy looking at schematics and planning the whole thing out in my head. thanks in advance. Doug

Douglas C. Box
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Replacing right rear drive axle seals?

Postby Douglas C. Box » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:36 pm

Any special tools or just seal puller tool? Doug

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:41 pm

Doug:

Is this what you are looking for:

You need to check out the Cub Manual Server. Owner's, Service and Parts Manuals are available.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:45 pm

Before you change the seal drain and refill the transmission and also check the level in the final drive by removing the large plug with the square hole just above the pan. If the transmission is full of water and oil mix or overfilled with gear lube it can leak out the seal on the tranny case. The seals were designed to protect against splash lube and not submersion. If you still have leaking after the levels are correct you will need to replace the seals. The TC 37 parts catalog gives a pretty good view of how everything fits together.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Douglas C. Box
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Douglas C. Box » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:03 pm

Yea that is exactly what I need to view. Oil seems to be comming from way up high somewhere. I dont have the tractor where I can run out and look at it but I think I could see oil comming out from a seal down inside a housing. I will check all the fluid levels first before going to work. Thanks. Have not had the cub long but am really enjoying it allready.

Douglas C. Box
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Douglas C. Box » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:08 pm

Looking up thru the cut out in body 8 I believe it is #9 That a seal?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:14 pm

#9 is 381 907 R91 differential pinion shaft seal.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:43 am

Please bear in mind that that #9 seal is probably not the source of your leak. The oil to that area comes from the big bull gear dipping in the oil pan below and transporting oil up. As mentioned before, the transmissions have a tendency to fill with water. Add water and the oil rises above the axle and it comes out of the seal on the transmission, into the axle tube and usually comes out around where the brake is, making it look like it comes from the final drive. That number 9 seal is actually one of the ones that is least likely to be a problem.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:09 am

The check level plug for the transmission/differential is the square plug on the left side below the hump in the case. Also, there are drainage holes directly below the brake bands. Poke them out and see if you get stuff coming out.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:22 am

Those drain holes get plugged by grass clippings, mouse nest material, acorns, etc. so they weep rather than drain.
Most of the final dives I have inspected for the first time have mostly empty. That square socket plug is big enough to get a finger in there to see if any oil can be found. Most fill it up to just below the level of the pan gasket, but the plug is a level plug.

All of the transmissions have been overfilled due to water ingress.

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77355
eBay ID: czechiii
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub SN 54XXX (Captain Crunch)
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:55 am

Welcome to the Cub family ...your comments are right in line with what mine were when I joined the forum...This is truly a great place full of folks that are willing to help at the drop of a hat. I have learned tons about my Cub and have really enjoyed bringin something back that was left to waste away. I hope that in time I can also share what I have learned here with others. Right now I am simply making like a sponge and absorbing eveything I can.......
Charles Patek III
Some days - Chicken.......Some days - Feathers
Words to live by....

Douglas C. Box
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Douglas C. Box » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:55 pm

That is all great information! Thanks alot. Now I have some things to look at this weekend.

Guess I had better buy a gallon of 90W oil and fill everything up to the recommended level with good clean oil.

I will drain everything first. glad to know about the little weep holes in the housing to check. No telling what those look like! Doug

ReTractor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06437
Tractors Owned: 1956 lo-boy

Postby ReTractor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:49 pm

Bob in CT wrote:Please bear in mind that that #9 seal is probably not the source of your leak. The oil to that area comes from the big bull gear dipping in the oil pan below and transporting oil up. As mentioned before, the transmissions have a tendency to fill with water. Add water and the oil rises above the axle and it comes out of the seal on the transmission, into the axle tube and usually comes out around where the brake is, making it look like it comes from the final drive. That number 9 seal is actually one of the ones that is least likely to be a problem.

I can vouch for that! PO had 5 quarts (only supposed to be 3.5 pints i think) in the transmission and it was all oil no water he just plain overfilled it. I had oil coming out the hole near the brake band. Once i got the oil level correct the problem was solved. Very good advice to adjust oil level before tackling a job that may not be needed.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:50 pm

Excellent... cause the other job is a pretty big one.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:08 am

If you are going to change the fluid in the final drive you will have to pull the pan off the drain the fluid. You will need a new gasket to do this. There are no drain holes in the pans. Would be nice if there was a drain plug in the bottom of them. But I guess in some instances they could have been in the way and caused damage by hitting objects and not letting the pan slide over an object.
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.