Starting on the '50

Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:52 pm

2 years ago I bought a 1950 Cub on eBay locally. Peter Person and Bill Hudson will remember. Bill told me about it and I put in a snipe bid and lo and behold I nipped Peter & Sons in the last 2 seconds.... :oops:

All I have done with it is move it once a week to mow around it to keep the grass from dying under the wheels.. :roll:

I finally pulled it into the garage Sunday before the big rainstorm arrived. I remove the finals and the transmission and now the tranny is apart on the bench. It had a bad shifter and there was a lot of water in the bottom. In spite of that it was not terribly rusty but I have a full gear set to install that is really clean anyway.
The input bearing and drive shaft surface are shot so I think I have a good candidate for a sealed bearing fix. I may also try to make up some of George Willer's shifter o-ring seals to keep water from getting into the transmission in the future. I have all the parts, which it good as I am on a zero expenditure budget.

This tractor is really clean. All the castings are perfect and they all match plus it has a mag. I am thinking of 2 "keepers" in the long-term plan and I would like this and the red '77 to be the chosen two...

Re: Starting on the '50

Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:57 pm

Bob,

Glad you made a decision! First one this Century?

Seriously, good luck with the 50!

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:30 pm

have fun bob, take some pictures for us

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:36 pm

Nice change, from apartment restoration, to cub restoration. Ed

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:46 pm

I have a couple of before pics. The hood is stashed away in the attic and like the fenders and floor pan it was painted with automotive paint. All the parts are dinged up a little so they need a top coat at a minimum. Depends on how far I can afford to go. Right now that is not too far..

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:51 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:Nice change, from apartment restoration, to cub restoration. Ed

You betcha! Actually I like both, but this is a fun project. Plus I FINALLY figured out the right twist to take a differential out of a case without removing a bearing! It needs to be just perfect to come out. I'm not saying I can put it back in, or take one out again, but at least I did it once! :lol: I need to buy some batteries to take some in-progress pictures. Have to crack the piggy bank...

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:52 pm

Bob in CT wrote:... Bill Hudson will remember...

Bob,

REALLY????? Two years ago??? You are asking alot. :) :) Refresh my memory, please. Good luck with the project.

Bill

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:02 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:
Bob in CT wrote:... Bill Hudson will remember...

Bob,

REALLY????? Two years ago??? You are asking alot. :) :) Refresh my memory, please. Good luck with the project.

Bill

You sent me an email just before Christmas about this one. It was right in my backyard in East Windsor CT and there were about 2 hours left in the auction. At least I think it was you..... :roll:

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:08 pm

Bob,

Spring for those batteries, we all would love to watch :shock: the progress, I know it will be done right!

May the Cub God's be with you,

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:10 pm

Bob:

Nice Cub and probably a pretty good project. Looks like you are already having fun. I just had a thought.. a real nice pair of Cubs would be a 47 and a 77 both RED :!:

Either way, have a blast. Nice project to keep you warm this winter.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:09 am

Bob in CT wrote:... You sent me an email just before Christmas about this one. It was right in my backyard in East Windsor CT and there were about 2 hours left in the auction. At least I think it was you..... :roll:

Bob,

Two years ago, prowling Ebay for Cubs and Cub stuff, I really think it was someone else that sent you the email. I spend very little time on Ebay.

I'm relieved because I don't believe I'm the one with the memory lapse. :lol: :lol:

Bill

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:18 am

Good luck with your project Bob. Hope you enjoy every minute of it, or should I say every hour of it. :D

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:31 pm

Nise cub there Bob

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:43 pm

Anyone up this way set up to grind a driveshaft to retrofit a sealed bearing?

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:19 pm

I took my shaft and a new sealed bearing to a local machine shop. For 40 bucks, they welded up the 1/16" groove in the shaft and turned it down to fit the bearing.