Retirement is great

Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:53 pm

My 2 cubs and I will be headed for Mo. Red Power tomorrow morning (Thursday). Plan to get back Sunday and head for Cubarama the followign Thursday.

Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:59 pm

Hi John

That sounds good, I am sure you earned it !! Have a great time. PaulK.in N.H.

Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:02 pm

Hi John P.

I hope you have a G-R-R-R-R-E-A-T time this week and am so looking
forward to seeing you next week.

Did I see "RETIREMENT" mentioned in your subject line?

We just received work today that BellSouth has given the Out Sourcing
company I work for a 90 day notice of intent to terminate their contract.
BST is pulling the Engineering back into house. SOOOO, I guess that
means I will be retiring at the end of the year instead of March 30, 2005. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:05 pm

Been off work for over a year, but retirement became official August 31.

retirement sucks

Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:28 am

Retired twice already. I'm planning on retiring for the third time in October 2005 then put in for Social Security. Maybe I'll stay retired this time. First time I retired my wife drove me nuts with her "to do list". It was easier to find another job then to contend with the "honey do list". Yea! we are still married.

Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:31 am

John,

Congratulations :D :D ,

Sounds like you're kicking-it-off in style.

Enjoy.

I've got 12 Yrs. to go.

Retirement...

Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:04 am

Errrr,... about 35 years to go here, assuming that the retirement age continues climbing and reaches at least 72 by the time I catch up with it!

Lucky for me I like what I do!

Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:13 am

John:

I can't get to Red Power with all of you guys, so take me along with you in spirit K? Sure envy you all. That would be a real dream vacation for me!

ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY :!: :D Take lots of pics -- putem on a cd k??

Cheers

Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:28 am

John,

I retired ten years ago at 55 and to this day I can't figure out how I had time to work. Keep busy and only do the fun things. If something breaks have someone else fix it. If you can't do that, leave it broken!

Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:57 am

Rudi Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:13 am

Take lots of pics -- putem on a cd k??

I'll try to fill one up for ya.

Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:58 pm

Carl:

Thanks buddy, I appreciate it a lot!

Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:28 pm

John,

I'm happy you are enjoying your retirement. I'm amazed that many more aren't retired. I retired in 1972. Actually, retirement is a state of mind. By definition... from that date forward, we only do what we want to do. It has nothing to do with idleness. I'll bet there are many list members who qualify on that basis.

Some will even be lucky enough to receive some kind of pension, but that isn't a deciding factor.

Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:07 am

John:
Best of luck with the 'formal' rtirement!
You have a full-tiime job here on the Cub board being a resource and an inspiration.
I like the thoughts expressed above and can't improve omn them, so I'll simply say "ENJOY!!!!!"

Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:30 am

I am always amazed by the number of people I know who could retire from their "jobs" but continue working because they don't have any other interests, or become bored if they can not continue in the same routine they have be doing for years and years. Some of my friends are in this catagory. They constantly complain about how much they dislike their boss or their customers or their job in general, but will not retire because they could not complain about their jobs if they did. Its a shame they have never taken up any hobbys or done anything else with passion. The term workaholic is a real thing. They would rather work and complain about their work than anything.

John I am glad the bell heads finally figured out that you deserved th be retired.

ENJOY.

mt

Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:17 pm

I have been lurking on this retirement post. You all are still wet behind the ears. I retired july 1 1985 at age 52. Still can't find where I ever had the time to go to work. There are just not enough hours in the day. The Tel Co in New York got to messing around with the Magt Medical plan so I left the last day I could and have them pick up the whole tab. Beverly was starting to doctor a bunch. Glad we did because she has beaten that devil cancer.
I enjoyed working but it now is apparent that it takes up too much of the day that could be better spent on other things.
Bill