This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Reel Mower Design Help Needed

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:46 am

Wow :!:

Now there is a lot of info to digest. Will re-read a couple of times so I can understand all that has been posted.

Just one point I should have mentioned. I have been playing with the various reel mowers that I have and one commonality between them all is that they really don't like tall grass :!: :? :) THere are some practical ramifications to that observation - have to cut the grass a little more often :!: :roll: :cry: NOT A PROBLEM :!: SEAT TIME :!: :idea: :D :o

But seriously, if the grass is say 2 or 3 inches long, the mowers have a difficult time as the longer grass may get caught up in the drive mechanisms. As long as the grass is less than 2 inches in length (that is above the cutter blades), then the mowers will go non-stop, you don't have to back up and push as I remember doing as a youngster.

There will be some engineering challenges I am athinkin. One would be that the attachmet points actually be behind the center of the reel and at an angle (probably 45 degrees) to allow downward pressure on the mowers as you are going along. (Just thought of that!)

Will respond to the other ideas later. Time to go out and play on the potato digger and the 54 blade :D :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:51 am

Rudi, I had one of those 3 gang reel mowers that I got from a landscaper probably some 25 or more years ago. It did work well on shorter grass and smooth ground. They do not do well if the ground is rough. But if you have a nice smooth even lawn surface and not too many things to mow around it is a high-speed operation. The unit I had was a commercial unit and well built. I don't remember what make it was though.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:25 pm

Rudi
I looked at a set this weekend at our 50 mile yard sale.They were industrial built.But the guy only had two reels,he was missing the third.He wanted $75.00.They had a tray on top of each one to lay half patio on for weight.very heavy duty with six inch tires.I wish he had the third reel I would have bought it. :)
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

Return to “Farmall Cub”