This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How I Converted My Leveling & Grader Blade into a Snowplow

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

How I Converted My Leveling & Grader Blade into a Snowplow

Postby ricky racer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:44 pm

My problem:
To many times while plowing snow either in my driveway or my neighbors, I have caught an edge of pavement, frozen ground, rock and last week a tree root bringing the Cub to an abrupt stop, nearly sending me over the steering wheel. It is an unpleasant experience at best but every time it happens, I cringe worrying that I may break the lower tank which suspends the front axle hanger or the torque tube where the Cub 54A grader blade attaches. Either of those would be a major problem requiring a tear down and the purchase of new castings ($$$). If the plow frame were to break that could be repaired easier but it would still be a hassle, just ask Rudi.

My observation:
Looking at a wide variety of snowplows they all share one feature, a trip mechanism to allow the blade to trip upon contact with anything that impedes its travel then a spring return to the plowing position. This is true whether the snowplow is for a pick-up, tractor, garden tractor, ATV or skid steer. The Cub 54 and 54A Grader and Leveling blade is just that, a grader and leveling blade that is used by most of us as a snowplow. It is made to move dirt and not snow. Typically when you are grading or moving dirt, it is done at low speed usually in first gear. Also while grading you can see exactly (for the most part) what you are contacting with the blade. Pushing snow you need some speed usually 2nd gear or sometimes 3rd gear to use momentum to both roll the snow off the blade better and to overcome low traction that is incumbent to snow on the ground. The presents of the snow hides what ever may be underneath so you are never sure what your blade will be coming into contact with.

My solution:
I set out to add a trip mechanism to my 54A blade. When I first decided to do this project, my plan was to try to make a fairly simple bolt on kit that I could package and market to other Cub owners with all the needed components to modify their blades. By the time that I had a working design though it was a little beyond a simple bolt on kit. A little blacksmithing is required to copy what I currently have. Others will improve upon what I have done I’m sure as there are some really talented folks here. The pictures below are from my preliminary design which was kind of thrown together to see if it would work and will be tidied up a bit and a few changes made by the time I’m done.

Examining existing snowplow designs one thing was evident, the pivot point needed to be closer to the blade cutting edge increasing the force required to tip the blade over while increasing the leverage (decreasing the force required) for the return springs to right the blade after it has been tipped. To achieve this, the grader blade pivot point had to be lowered. The blades attachment point has 5 possible pivot pin locations. These multiple pivot pin locations are provided to pitch the blade while grading. The problem is the curvature of the brackets that work so well when you are pitching the blade won’t allow you to drop the angle support bracket (that’s what it is called in the Leveling and Grader Blade manual) down to the bottom holes where it needs to be for this modification. This is where the blacksmithing comes in.
To allow the brackets to be used I had to make a cut in the angle bracket as close to the blade as I could on the lower side of the bracket (see photo). The cut was about 2 ½ inches up from the bottom of the bracket. Once the cut was made, I was able to spread the brackets out to the same width as the center of the bracket. Spreading the bracket was done by giving it a whack or two with a big hammer. This allowed the angle support bracket to be mounted to the lowest holes in the blade. After the cuts were made and the brackets spread, those cuts were welded up to gain full strength of the brackets.

Because the blade is effectively raised by mounting it in the lower holes, the linkage needs to be altered to let the angle support bracket set lower than it previously did or the blade won’t touch the ground. My linkage did not pose a problem as it has 3 holes to use and all I had to do was move up 1 hole and insert a shoulder bolt and I was in business. Using a 54 or some 54A linkage may require a little more modification.

This snowplow modification also calls for the removal of the relief spring on the underside of the grader blade. In its place I have used a simple angle iron bracket to secure a 3/8” eye bolt and a short length of chain. The purpose of this assembly is to stop the springs from flipping the blade all the way back to the lifting mechanism. The pitch of the blade, fore or aft is adjusted by varying the chain links and then fine adjustment is made with the eye bolt. The angle iron bracket is attached to the same location as the relief spring bracket and the end link of the chain attaches to the blade in the same yoke that held the other end of the relief spring simply by inserting the attaching pin through the link.

The new return springs I fabricated from a heavy garage door spring and are attached to the angle support bracket with two 3/8” eye bolts and I used a pair of coupling nuts that I drilled a hole through to anchor the spring on the blade. The springs and attachment method may change but seem to work well. I will probably change to a little stronger springs but I want to use it more first.
I did get to plow a little snow with it and was very pleased with how well it worked. More snow is predicted for tonight and this weekend so I’ll be better able to give feedback later.

To convert the snowplow back to a leveling and grader blade will only require the replacing of the chain and bracket with the original relief spring assembly and possibly moving the pivot pins back to the center hole. The only drawback is that I won't be able to pitch the blade as might be needed to crown a road or driveway. Seems like a small trade off to me.
Last edited by ricky racer on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 10 times in total.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: How I Changed My Leveling & Grader Blade into a Snowplow

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:57 pm

You betcha! I like that, a lot.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

cubguy's dad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49265
Tractors Owned: 1938 John Deere A
(owned 38 years)
1953 Cub
(owned 21 Years)
1963 Olds Cutlass
1970 Ford F-350
(Cub Hauler)

Postby cubguy's dad » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:04 pm

Ricky,

Looks good!!! I am sure you will give it a good test by winters end.

You folks on the West side of the State have sure been hit hard with the lake effect snow lately.

Keep us posted

Mark
Experiance is knowing what NOT to do the next time.......
1937 John Deere A (Big John)
1953 Farmall Cub (LiL Red)
Lots of projects.

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:34 pm

Ricky,

WOW, you are pretty talented, I always like to see some of the creative ways to address problems.

Heck, I will be happy to just replace the scraper blade on mine! :D

I hope it works as well as you planned,
David

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:40 am

Ricky:

You know what just happened, don't you :?:

:big smile:

Copied, pruned and locked :!: :idea:

What a great and I mean simply great modification :!: :applause: It will be in the CBoK shortly :{_}:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:02 am

Ricky,

Do you think it would be a good idea to run a safety cable through those springs? If you cut and bent one of the spring ends to fit there may be some stress that could lead to early failure. Don't want one of those snapping back towards your head if the end fatigues and breaks, like they eventually do in the garage. I know that they won't be cycled very much, but better safe than sorry.

You sure have the hot set-up for snowplowing. I'm impressed. Power angle, improved skids, now a safety trip. We all got to see a broken Cub torque tube on John's tractor a couple of years ago and it is not hard to imagine just how bad it could be being brought to a standstill in 3rd gear.

What is next? A liquid magnesium chloride solution dispenser? One of those side-mounted tanks for fertilizer would do that job...

ebax
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 98349
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cubs (2)
Cub Cadet 124
Cub Cadet 782 (CCC1712)

Postby ebax » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:10 am

I am impressed! When I got my 54A blade this winter I wanted to mount the blade in the lowest holes and discovered it couldn't be done. You didn't take no for an answer and made it work. I will be watching to see how this project develops as the winter season continues. Keep up the good work!

Ed
Two 1953 Cubs, 1948 Cub, 22 mower, Johnny Bucket & Blade
1968 Cub Cadet 124 and Cub Cadet 782, mower deck, rototiller, front blades

Dave Nauman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18301
Tractors Owned: 67 Cub
59 IH 340 Utility

Postby Dave Nauman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:42 am

That's a great piece of work, and looks like a definite improvement. I always thought the relief spring underneath the blade served that same purpose, as well as to absorb shock. My blade does flop over if I hit something, but it takes a pretty good shot, and I have snapped the carriage bolt that holds the bracket to the frame. Your rig does look like a better setup and I believe I will do it.
Thanks for the ingenuity.

jsharp1071
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08833
eBay ID: jsharpinnj
Tractors Owned: 1955 FCub
54 grader leveler
Fast Hitch
Platform carrier
Pennington 60'' mower
BF Plow
Johnny Bucket Loader

Postby jsharp1071 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:02 am

Rick, that is a very nice piece of work. You're very creative. Thanks for sharing it.

Joe

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:38 am

Cool Ricky

A great well thought out and executed Idea :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:20 am

Great setup Rick. I agree totally about the factory trip setup. In theory the IH boys made it look nice, but it definetly doesn't work well for plowing, even when it's working it's best. Looks like yur setup should work well. The only tweeking I can see is the chain assembly on the bottom. During my snow plowing years with my Jeeps, every time I hit something that tripped the blade while going forwards, the blade slams back into position pretty hard. You may have to weld that eyelet and beef up the brkt. Like you stated, this is just a preliminary setup and you'll tweek things if need be. I don't have the time right now, but I can see this setup on my blade too :D :D Thanks for posting and giving us some ideas, looks like some snow is coming this afternoon :{_}: 4-6 inches forcast here by morning.

Ohio Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ricky racer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:13 pm

I got a chance to use the "snowplow" this afternoon and am very happy with how it works. I even was able to plow in 3rd gear without fear of having the tractor ripped out from under me!! :{_}:
My daughter snapped a couple of pictures of me plowing wide open in 3rd. Ok, so you have to use your imagination to picture some speed.....

Everything worked as it should except the formed 3/8" eye bolt that anchors the chain under the plow. While pushing snow up onto the existing snow piles, the snow with the help of the extension on top of the plow supplied enough leverage to open the eye bolt up and fail. I replaced the eye bolt with another I had on hand after I put a little weld on it to assure that the eye bolt wouldn't open up again. I will replace this eye bolt with a 1/2" eye bolt (unless I think of something better) tomorrow. The only other concern might be the bracket that secured the above mentioned eye bolt. It will probably be fine but I'll keep and eye on it and beef it up if needed.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:36 pm

Ricky:

I was thinking that in my experience these grade 5 eyebolts do not stand up well to heavy duty use. I have started using Heat Treated Drop Forged Eye Bolts for most of the heavy duty applications with my Cub and Implement projects. The 5/8" ones make great tie downs :idea: :!: :D

These ones will not open nor stretch.

1/2-13 x 2-1/2" Eye Bolt

Thread: 1/2"D - 13UNC x 2-1/2"L SWL: 2,000 lbs Ultimate load: 7,800 lbs

1/2-13 x 2-1/2" eyebolt Price $4.99 SKU: 8271496
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ricky racer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:49 pm

Rudi wrote:Ricky:

I was thinking that in my experience these grade 5 eyebolts do not stand up well to heavy duty use. I have started using Heat Treated Drop Forged Eye Bolts for most of the heavy duty applications with my Cub and Implement projects. The 5/8" ones make great tie downs :idea: :!: :D

These ones will not open nor stretch.

1/2-13 x 2-1/2" Eye Bolt

Thread: 1/2"D - 13UNC x 2-1/2"L SWL: 2,000 lbs Ultimate load: 7,800 lbs

1/2-13 x 2-1/2" eyebolt Price $4.99 SKU: 8271496

I agree with you 100% Rudi and may end up using one like that. The only thing is I have to attach the chain to it and like to keep the amount of connections to a minimum (so it doesn't look like some kind of totem pole). I will explore my options and come up with a fix tomorrow. We're supposed to get a good snow tonight.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:53 pm

A lap link will serve the purpose:

Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”