This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

This side down....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

This side down....

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:08 am

Ok guys. This is a continuation of last weeks topic "This side up" in which we discussed the proper blade orientation on my woods 42 mower. The bevel was facing down, and this was the question at that point. I removed the blades over the weekend (I really to like those Ag engineers, as it was a complete surprize to me how easy it was to remove) and sharpened them. Whilst looking at the blades, I remembered Jim Hudson's post of a photo that showed the blade bevel up. I looked at the blades very carefully, and there plain as day was stamped, "This side down". Cool, I thought. That is, until I looked at the bevel again. Clear as a bell, the bevel was meant to be in the down position with these blades. I checked both blades, and both were stamped the same way. Both blades had 3975 stamped on them along with Woods and 984. So, I installed them back the way they were, and mumbled something imperceptable under my breath. I then mowed some test strips, and did notice a reasonable cut. But, the question remains....Why the bevel down? I rechecked my JD Sabre lawnmower, and the blade bevel is indeed facing up towards the mower bottom. Just doesn't make decent sense to me.

Thanks,

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Oscar Meier
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Oscar Meier » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:07 pm

The bevel goes up. If your bevel appears to be on the bottom, someone has ground the poop out of the blade to make it a bottom bevel.

If possible, I would grind the bevel on the top. The top bevel gives better air foil lifting or vacuuming of the grass to cut and then shoot the cuttings out of the deck.
48 CUB & 52 Super A

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:17 pm

There is really only one way to install the blades - with the leading edge forward. If you look at the rotation of the spindle, the cutting edge must be forward. This will make the sweep or uplift of blade correct if the blade is the correct one. There is very little effect of the bevel up or down, the lift comes from the twist in the blade.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

CCW rotation of PTO

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:23 pm

The cub does have a ccw rotation of the PTO pulley. When you look at the pulley on the mower, it is rotating CW. This means the blades rotate CW. With this particular mower, the bevel is down, and the leading edges are sharpened (with the bevel facing the ground). Beats the heck out of me. But then again, I'm just learning!

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:26 pm

Is the twist of the blade correct to lift the grass?
Bigdog

Ricaroo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ricaroo » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:39 pm

I also have a woods 42C deck and the blades mount bevel down. Don't know why but they do!

Rick
1958 cub

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:10 pm

Bigdog wrote:Is the twist of the blade correct to lift the grass?

What hasn't been mentioned... those blades with the bevel on the bottom are for a different mower, like a Farmall A that runs (PTO) the opposite direction. A blade for a Cub mower will certainly have the bevel on the top.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

rondellh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rondellh » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:12 am

I just looked at the blades on my 42C and the blades have the bevel up. But they are the flat style with the welded fin for suction. The bevel is also forged into the blade not ground.
I am thinking about buying a new set to save the wear on this heavier set as they are not available any longer. That way I can use one suction blades for lawn mowing and keep a heavier set for the tougher jobs.
My dealer said the complete Conversion kit is less than $35
Rondell

David C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47141
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub, 1970 135 Massey Ferguson, 1970 175 Massey Ferguson, 1964 Cub Cadet Model 70. 1977 Farmall 140 (Granpa's)

Postby David C » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:38 am

I too have the bevel down style. I noticed it this spring when I replaced my original set as they were bevel "UP"... As BIGDOG mentioned the twist in the new style blade compensates for the oddity... my blade's bevel is running paralell to the ground. my 2 cents worth. (Hope nobody wants a refund) :lol:

David C
I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands

Ricaroo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ricaroo » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:19 am

I am using the blades with the bevel facing down can I put a twist in the belt just before the deck pulley to reverse the rotation and reinstall the blades with the bevel facing up?

Rick

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:48 am

You could, but the belt might not be long enough to do that. Plus, you will have additional wear on the belt from the rubbing where it crosses. Ther is nothing wrong with the bevel being down if the blade is installed correctly and providing lift to raise the grass when cutting. It is the blade that provides the lift, not the bevel. The bevel merely provides an edge for cutting.
Bigdog

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:48 am

Ricaroo wrote:I am using the blades with the bevel facing down can I put a twist in the belt just before the deck pulley to reverse the rotation and reinstall the blades with the bevel facing up?

Rick
If you are referring to your 42c, the over running clutch on the mower will have to be removed and turned over also, or it will just go click, click, click,.........
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Ricaroo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ricaroo » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:56 am

My 42C doesn't have an over running clutch

As far as I know it never did

Rick

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:05 pm

Some did, some didn't. I have one of each.
Bigdog

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

No real twist on my blades

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:44 am

I seem to remember my blades being pretty much flat. Stout though, but not much twist or bend in the blades at all. At least not on the ends.

Oh well.

Return to “Farmall Cub”