This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Leaky in the rear...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Leaky in the rear...

Postby allenlook » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:51 pm

Well, as happy as I am that Jay is running, I do need to finish up some work on him, or he'll be mowing the lawn in diapers.

There's a pretty good leak on the left rear axle, I can't tell from where. Have gone over the parts diagrams a few times, but I'm probably gonna have to tear into him to find out what it is. I think I'll top up his fluids for now and run him as long as the pressure washing doesn't turn up any significant cracks/damage. I'll assume it's a blown seal.

It's leaking pretty good right onto the top of the hub seen here in the center of the picture (and the wheel).

Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:50 pm

Yup Allen, that is most likely your rear axle seal. I expect you have no brakes on that side because of all the gear oil on the band as well. Not a hard fix. :wink:
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Hmmm.

Postby allenlook » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:06 pm

That's the odd part, I seem to have brakes just fine on both sides, and I was figuring that I wouldn't with all that lube on there (and there's a lot)...

Then again, I don't know what "good brakes" is. But it seems to stop really well, even downhill, and I can steer it with the brakes either direction...
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:18 pm

Do your brakes squeal or grind? If you're down to the rivets grease likely wouldn't hinder the braking action. :idea:

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Nope...

Postby allenlook » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:19 pm

Nope, they're quiet. Good thinkin' though.

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:25 pm

Sorry, sometimes my mind automatically jumps to worst case, cause I see a LOT of those "worst cases" with salvage tractors! :roll:

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:30 pm

Oh, I get it now :!: :!: :!: I never paid attention to this post until now. With that title I thought it was something old people get :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Nope...

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:37 pm

allenlook wrote:Nope, they're quiet. Good thinkin' though.
There is a drain hole under the brakes, and as long as it's kept open any leaking oil will drain out rather than puddling and getting on the brake bands.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Denny Clayton » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:47 pm

If your transmission is truly overfull as speculated in an earlier post, once you correct the fluid level the leak may disappear.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”