This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

This side up......

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

This side up......

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:57 am

Ok gents. I've moved to my new house and was blessed with a more than healthy stand of fescue grass. I didn't want to mess with unpacking any more boxes, so I took out my recently acquired cub with the woods mower on it to do the mowing. I really didn't like the cut, though it seemed as if I had enough power to do some cutting before the sun went down. I put the tractor up after doing about 3/4's of the front yard. On a hunch, I looked at the blades to check for sharpness. Not only were they dull, but the beveled edge was facing towards the ground. Am I nuts or is there something wrong here? I have a JD Sabre mower, and I remember having the bevel on those blades facing up. In fact, they are stamped, "This side up". So, when I remove the blades for sharpening, I should be flipping those blades for better cut, right? Also, are there any gotcha's in removing the blades? It is rather tight, but I think I can use the hydraulic lift to get enough clearance and remove the bolts holding the blades on. Not quite sure about that right now, as it was getting dark when I inspected the mower last evening.

As always, thanks for the help!

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:04 am

Don't know about removal but bevel should be up this is for wind lift action so the grass tends to be lifted up so it can be cut.

I'll bet they are on the wrong way as in side to side that is why they are up side down.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

I'd be willing to

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:12 am

bet you are right on the money. I could only see one side when I looked, but I'm more than willing to bet both sides are wrong. Thanks for the info. I'll get right on it this weekend, that is if the hurricane doesn't side track me.

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Tips up...

Postby allenlook » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:06 am

SS,

Those bevels ought to be on the upside, to create the suction that stands the grass blades up. The blades should be sharp, but not razor sharp.

You want to cut the grass cleanly so as to avoid tearing the tips (and getting a brown shock-killed look due to moisture loss in the grass blades), but you don't want it so sharp that they dull right down every time you pick up dirt or debris. A slightly squared edge works the best for me, it stays sharp (enough) longer and the blades last a lot longer.

Please remember to put some jack stands under the mower if you get under it, as the hydraulics might not keep it in the air safely. I caught myself working under my tractor last night, putting the oil pan on. I realized my leg was under the front wheel hub (with no wheel on it), and the tractor was jack-standed but there's still no good reason to be under it if you don't have to be!

From pushing my Woods L59 around the lawn yesterday by hand to clear out some room for a party - I can vouch those suckers are *heavy*!
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:06 am

I guess blades can be designed with the bevel going either way. The imprtant question is which edge is (was) sharpened. If the trailing edge of each tip was sharp, it is bottom side up.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Ok, now this brings up a different view...

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:32 am

Just what is the trailing edge then? From what I can remember, the cub PTO turns ccw, right? So what direction do the blades turn if that is correct, and what is now the trailing edge? I'm still thinking the bevel should be facing the underside of the mower, not the ground. Also, thanks for reminding me of placing jack stands under the mower. I'm sure the mower will leak down without the tractor running. I do have an air compressor and 1/2 " impact wrench with sockets, so this should help. Sure wish I had a work shop right now!

Rick

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:38 am

The Woods mowers were made in a right and left hand version. The P.O. may have had the wrong blades and turned them upside down to get the sharp edge leading.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Ok, now what....

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:02 am

John,

I guess I need to start up the tractor and see what direction the woods mower blades turn. Never thought of that before, but then, I haven't had the tractor that long either. I do know the decals only say woods 42 on it. They are still in a very readable state. After that, I can only postulate what will be the leading edge, and I would expect to flip the blades as well.

Thanks gents!

Rick

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:02 am

Oh geez, this is one of those deals where the right picture would be worth a lot more than 1,000 words.

With the PTO turning CCW, the mower spindle wil be turning CW, viewed from the top. If a blade is pointed towards the front of the tractor, the leading edge will be to the right. That edge should be sharp. If the left edge is sharp, the right edge will probably be square and shined up from hitting the grass. In that case, the blade is the wrong way. Turning it over would put the cutting edge where it belongs.

HOWEVER, when the blades are properly installed, the cutting edge should be closer to the ground than the bottom of the spindle. If the edge is above any other part of the blade or spindle, they are offset the wrong way and you have the situation John described (the wrong blades).

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:04 am

This side up
Young man for work, old man for advice

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:18 am

Jim, That looks like one of those high profile rock cutting blades from the appearance of that special single serration in the cutting edge. :) :) :)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

I can see clearly now the rain is gone....

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:42 pm

Sorry for the old lyrics. Every now and again I just want to sing out loud. Jim, thanks for the photo. Mine on one side are definitely the upside down opposite of what you are posting. I'll surely take care of that problem. My understanding the PO was a great computer geek, but couldn't read an English book if'n it was opened for him. Hence the reason I now have this tractor.

Thanks all! Please have a safe and happy labor day weekend.

Rick

BillWms01
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BillWms01 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:34 pm

The Woods blades are easily installed upside down! They cut pretty good with the dull back side, and only use a little more power. Don't ask me how I know. :D
BillWms01
'48 Cub, Woods 42C Mower, Cub-144 Cultivators, Cub-22 Mower, Disc Breaking Plow, Belt-Drive for PTO.

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:25 pm

I have the Danco C2 that I think must be about the same. 42 inch with the swinging blade on each end. And they are DULL (Bad) but it don't leave a weed standing in the front yard like my Zero Turn Toro. And it will mow down the corn stalks in the garden no problem. Wonder how fast the tip of that dull blade is going? 60 mph? 120mph??
Young man for work, old man for advice