This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Got the Heli-coil kit.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Got the Heli-coil kit.

Postby EZ » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:39 pm

Well, it looked to me like I need to get those holes fixed up for mounting the drawbar, BEFORE I start putting this little beauty back together, it's actually my turning point, cuz, once they are done, I start working backwards to get this tractor upright and forward agin. Soooooooooo...,
I picked up a kit yesterday. $54.00Cdn for the kit, which includes 6 coils, install tool, and a tap to make the threads for the coils, but, no drill bit. After checking everyplace in town, I had to settle for the $38Cdn 21/32" bit. I could have gotten it done but would have cost abit more, and this way I get to try it myself, and that's half the fun. I'll let you know how I make out. Here goes "mud-in-yur-eye"!
Getting it done would have cost, the buying of the kit, plus $64Hr labour, Ouch!
Just Do It !

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:00 pm

And EZ, You get to keep the drill-bit for your next/other Cub. :lol:
Then came Bronson

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:05 pm

EZ:

If it all works, can you post the part numbers and where you got them? Best price I have seen so far is $168.00 plus tax. --- OUCH!!!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:12 am

You stated you had to "settle" for a 21/32 bit. What size does the kit call for? If the bit is too big aren't you right back where you started? :?:
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:56 am

l0,

The size is right for the kit. What I had to "settle for" was the price. I was hoping to pick one up for much less $$$$. I probably could have waited, shopped around some more, but I've been waiting long enough, I want to start rebuilding. So I'll have to hope for some more overtime at work.
Just Do It !

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:22 pm

EZ wrote:l0,

The size is right for the kit. What I had to "settle for" was the price. I was hoping to pick one up for much less $$$$. I probably could have waited, shopped around some more, but I've been waiting long enough, I want to start rebuilding. So I'll have to hope for some more overtime at work.
Now I understand :oops: Please post your results.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:49 pm

Ah, the joys of having a decent drill press!
The final drive housings are a little cumbersome to get set up under the drill press, but once everything is level and square, the 21/32" bit went into the drawbar mounting holes like a hot knife through expensive butter! The Heli-coil thread tap worked like charm, and the installation tool worked even better. With the "tangs" broken off, I have brand new threads where once was a very stripped and ugly looking holes. What a beautiful sight! Ended up having to do only 3 of the 4 as one had most of threads intact, but with a chunk broken out the side of it. Repaired that with PC7, a kind of JB weld. I wrapped a thin layer of pipe tape around the threads of a 5/8" bolt, threaded it in and put the PC7 to it. Once it hardens, I'll thread the bolt out, the PC7 won't stick to it because of the pipe tape, and I'll have pretty decent new hole. In addition, if you have a broken bolt stuck in one of the holes, don't try removing it, just drill right through it, the 21/32" bit is bigger than the bolt and will save you the hassle of trying to get it out.
As well, I was finally able to remove the big bearing from the short rear axle by using a big puller. Now I can replace the outer axle seal and start putting the finals back together. WHEW!
I'll post the part numbers, and brand for the Heli-coil kit as soon as I get chance. This one is actually called Perma-coil, ("The other name thread repair" it says)
Just Do It !

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:06 am

Thanks for posting your results of this project. The trick on the PC7 and thread tape will also be very handy. Congrats on a job well done.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:46 pm

I have used PC7 epoxy to repair steering wheels, but wouldn't have thought it could be used to repair/replace bolt hole threads.

Return to “Farmall Cub”