peg tooth harrow mystery

Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:48 am

I picked 2 of these units up with a batch of implements last month. can you identify?? pictures? :?:



i don't have a use for them, so if anyone needs them they don't owe me much.

To start with....

Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:52 pm

This could be the Medieval version of a "bed" for your mother-in law. You must remember to have the spikes facing up for her proper comfort. :D The lever is for proper spiking elevations. (I'm kidding!). My real guess is that it is a drag of some sort for prepping land for lawn or grass seeding. Ok, gents, what is the real meaning of this?

Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:10 pm

In this area it's a "spike toothed" harrow. Used for seedbed preparation. The same use as a disk harrow - it breaks up the clods and evens the dirt. I'm not sure of the make or model of that one but the sections do intermesh and you could pull as many sections as you had power for.
There were also versions that mounted right onto the plow frames. The levers adjust the angle of the spike which determines basically how deep the harrow worked. Spikes angled back would ride up over the clods. Spikes that were vertical went deeper and pulled much harder.

Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:39 pm


Yup, that is what we call a Spike Tooth or Peg Tooth Harrow and it is used the same way as a Spring Tooth or a Disc Harrow. All will do a good job, but the Disc is much better.

They look very similar to a couple I have seen. By any chance is there a Diamond with M-H in it anywhere on the cast pieces? If so then they are Massey Harris harrows.

I have two spring tooth harrows as well as my disc harrow. They are nice to have. Ifn it was me, I would be keeping one at least..

Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:11 pm

i haven't found any markings on the units yet, certainly nothing obvious. how are they supposed to attach to the tractor.....chains :?:

and i dont see any designed in feature to gang them together, although the PO thought it was a '2 gang peg tooth harrow for a cub'

although the MIL explanation is holding the lead here for explanations :lol:

Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:51 pm

Art, they were attached with chains or cables. If 2 units were ganged together a crossbar was added and each was chained to the bar and then the bar was connected to the drawbar with a chain or cable.

Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:40 pm


I also, have two 4 ft. sections that can be ganged together. I used an
8 ft. long landscape timber that I got at the local Wal-Mart and drilled
four holes in it just where the side frame on the harrow line up. I then
took four eye bolts and put through the timber and connected the frame
to the eyebolt with quick screw links [like putting a log chain together].
Then I put about ten feet of chain on the harrow with each end of the
chain attached to the outer eyebolts.

This way when I want to harrow down a seed bed I can take one and and attach the chain to it and harrow. The two sections ganged together are
used on disk harrowed land or land which has been turned under with
the mouldboard plow to help smooth down prior to rowing up or disk

They also can come in handy in smoothing a loose gravel drive.

Hope this helps.

Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:26 pm

rleggitt wrote:ARTC,

They also can come in handy in smoothing a loose gravel drive.

Hope this helps.

Mine has been out on loan for several years. I'll have to get it back soon to work on my long drive. It's best feature is the ability to loosen the top few inches and stir it up so the fines can help bind it all together. A spring tooth harrow also does a good job.