This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Needs Help

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dave Hull
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38506
Tractors Owned: Cub demo

Cub Needs Help

Postby Dave Hull » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:44 pm

I cant seem to get the timing right with my magneto firing system. Coil went bad and a seperate coil and in line resistance added. The lobe on the shaft are much different than on the later model distributor. I am getting fire at the plugs. I had 2 exhaust valves stiuck. That has been corrected. Number one exhaust valve spring is broke-2 pieces. Is there an easy method to hold the valve while geeting the spring changed?

I have checked the mark on the pulley and looked for the rod to be up at TDC on #1 and then unbolted and aligned the rotator cap mechanism to line up with number one on the dist cap. I did get a couple of backfires but no vroom. What should I check next?

New plugs, new point and condenser.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dave Hull

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:18 pm

Dave, try this link. http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/index.html Scroll down to Best of H.L. Chauvin and select "won't start, electrical".
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:41 pm

Dave there is a tool " valve Spring compressor" It looks something like a C with fingers on one end, It presses against the valve and compresses the valve spring so that you can remove the keepers that hold the spring to the valve stem. After the keepers are removed you release the tension, pull the valve and remove the spring. Valve springs can be tested too. You compress the spring to a certain length with a given amount of pressure. I don/t know what the numbers are for a cub but I am sure that one of our cub experts can supplu the numbers. There are valve packs too. They help seal the valve stems when you have worn valve holes.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Dave Hull
10+ Years
10+ Years

Magneto Question

Postby Dave Hull » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:35 pm

Thanks for the reply/ ANother question, following the magneto instructins at the fact area, I am not sure how the back plate, governer side of the mageto, comes off. I got the 11/16 nut off and the cup and spring, but I am not sure how the plate and click dogs are secured to the shaft. pLease advise.

Dave

Dave Hull
10+ Years
10+ Years

Valve spring

Postby Dave Hull » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:37 pm

Thanks Beacon, I am familiar with that approch with the head removed. I was hoping on doing the switch without removing the head.

Thanks
Dave

Return to “Farmall Cub”