This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Overheating. How much is too much

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Overheating. How much is too much

Postby ScottyG » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:01 pm

Since I'm relatively new to the Cub world and don't yet know the ins and outs of them, is it pretty common for them to overheat? When I purchased "Henry," it was about 2 inches low in the antifreeze department. It had a slight leak at the time so I chalked it up to that. Now that I've serviced him, took the radiator off and flushed the heck out of it, refilled to the neck line, it will overheat at full speed after about 10 minutes. I'm wondering if this is normal and to let it slide since it doesn't seem to boil over when the antifreeze level is about 3 inches below.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:09 pm

scotty, it isn't overheating. The cub doesn't have a water pump, but has what is called a thermosyphon system. This type system involves a lot of expansion, and it will push excess water out until it gets about 2 to 2 1/2 inches below the filler neck, then it will stabilize.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:19 pm

Ahhh it's normal. One more thing to scratch off my list!!

Thanks!!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Beat me to it...

Postby allenlook » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:58 am

ScottyG,

I think I would have been asking the same question in a week or two, when everything's back together! I never would have thought it's supposed to spit out the excess...
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:32 pm

If you overfill your car it will do the same thing.

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:07 pm

Well, I guess this is why I should trust the Owner's Manual and add exactly 9 3/4 Qts instead of "hmmm that's funny, it didn't quite fill it!"

Return to “Farmall Cub”