This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Yet another generator question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:15 pm

Bigdog,

So, if this works, should I then run a lead from the F terminal to the ignition switch instead of the L lead?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:23 pm

No! From the F terminal to ground. This by-passes the regulator and puts the generator to full output. If it doesn't charge then, the generator is probably bad. The L terminal to the ignition switch is correct. Then from that point on the ignition switch, a jumper goes to the light switch . The other side of the ignition switch goes to the coil minus terminal.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:13 pm

Bigdog wrote:If it has an L terminal, it's not a cut-out. Grounding the L will short circuit the system. Ground the F terminal not the L terminal. The generator will go to full output. If it doesn't show a charge on the ammeter now, your generator is probably bad.
Big dog is correct about the L terminal, When you said it was on top of the generator I had F terminal in my mind. Guess I'm getting senile, but I didn't think any of the cubs came with a regulator on top of the generators, only cutouts.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:23 pm

John, I'm thinking someone replaced a cut-out with a regulator and mounted it where the cut-out was.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:17 am

The Cub was originally a magneto ignition. The way the story goes, someone replaced it with full battery ignition in the 60's by replacing the original cutout which was on top of the generator with a full voltage regulator and retrofitting an IH automotive coil next to it. It works fine enough (if I can get the darned thing to charge) :wink: but some day, I'd like to convert back to magneto.

The wife had the bull whip out last night so I didn't get a chance to play. Hopefully I'll try the grounding tests tonight.

Will post again if the gen fails to operate.

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:54 pm

Well,

I've done all of my grounding checks as suggested and I can't get the ammeter to show a charge. My next step will be to pull the generator and inspect :( . Thanks for all of your help everyone. I'll continue to post to update.

Return to “Farmall Cub”