This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Been thinking.....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Been thinking.....

Postby SundaySailor » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:59 pm

And, I know this is very dangerous, but I's gotta get those cobwebs out of this head somehow. Anyhow, I've found a 1955 lo-boy with a nice woods 42c mower. If I get that one, it will make me think twice about the current 1950 cub I have that also has a 42c woods mower. Now, being the kind of person who wants to make my pittance of money go further, I'm thinking about maybe selling the woods mower on my cub, and trying to get cultivators for it. The Lo-boy will do the mowing, and the cub will help with the garden. Any thoughts? How much should I ask for the used woods mower in good condition? How much should I consider for the cultivators? Should I even try to go for three point hitch setup or try to latch on to the one point hitch? Gents....help me out. Your opinions are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

SundaySailor (Rick) :)
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:01 pm

Rick:

A Lo-Boy with a mower would be a very nice thing to have. I would really like to have one to use strictly for mowing.

As for what the mower is worth, I am not sure - probably in the $250.00 to $500.00 range, but I do know what a set of cultivators costs - and that is around $500.00 Cdn. depending on what all is with it.

I would not even try for a 3 point. Cub wasn't designed for it and there is still lots of correct equipment available for the Cubs, either regular or fast hitch.

Yust me dos centavos.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:57 pm

Donny M would be quite able to tell you what a NEW mower is worth, he just bought one! General rule of thumb for used parts is half of new, depending on condition. Of course, there are MANY exceptions to that rule. Some of the harder to find castings etc, will be way out of site, and worth more than a good running tractor, so the same parts in used will sell for less than half (if the seller wants to sell them!)
For cultivaters, I would recomend the nice cub mid-mounted cultivaters, that is one option that sould thousands of cubs!! Mid-mounted is the easiest to work with, no turning to watch behind and wiping out half a row in the process. :roll: :lol:
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:33 pm

partsman is correct 8) I did just buy a mower. A Woods 59C. Paid $1155 total for it.

I need (want) :lol: :lol: a set of mid-mount cultivators for 49-1.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:40 pm

Donny,
Is this what you mean when you say "mid-mount cultivators".
These were on my '49 when I first got it. I have no use for them now. They're leaning against the shop wall providing "defense" for the ever intruding flower bed. :lol: :lol:

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:51 pm

Yep :!:

Maybe a trip east is in order if you're willing to part with them :?:

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:59 pm

if you're willing to part with them

I am. Could be delivered too. Tomorrow, I will move them from the shop wall and take a pic or two. I assume that a complete set of cultivators would include the rear booms as well. I have those as well, but do occassionally use them for odd things.
HR
Last edited by Harold R on Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:05 am

Sounds good to me :D

Looking forward to pictures. You can just e-mail them if it's easier.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Thanks Rudi and others...

Postby SundaySailor » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:24 am

Still pondering this issue. Was unable to go see the Lo-boy this weekend due to all the wind and rain from the "blow little" Charley. I hate it for the folks in Florida, but in central NC, all we had (fortunately) was a lot of wind and rain. I did call the owner, and in our conversation, he indicated the front end was more boxy looking, not the rounded front end like the '48's and '50's and such cubs. He also stated he didn't know which year it actually was. Maybe it is a newer Lo-boy? I've also talked with a tractor mechanic about my Woods 42C mower. He told me that he knew of someone who was looking for a Woods mower, and that they also had a full set of cultivators. Could be a whole new bargain in the trade here. We'll have to see.

Thanks again for the pointers! Sure do learn a lot in a short bit of time here.

SundaySailor (Rick)
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Return to “Farmall Cub”